Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
Kotaku reports today that Sony's American and European branches plan to end cartridge production by the close of fiscal year 2018, although digital distribution of games will continue for the foreseeable future.

Confirmed as true.
Sony will accept last new cartridge game code request next month, and game card orders will be accepted until February.
Nothing was said about when last cartridge games can be sold.

This is unfortunate for Vita owners who have no internet at home, and slow internet connection like dial-up phoneline internet, and mostly buy cartridge games because their internet connection is slow and unreliable.

I'm surprised any games are being made for the Vita at all at this point. Wonder how long digital ones will be accepted?

However it seems Sony is still continuing Japan only Vita game cards, also from kotaku
https://kotaku.com/sony-will-keep-making-ps-vita-physical-games-for-japan-1826130776

Via Japanese site GameSpark, here is Q&A with Sony Interactive Entertainment regarding the PS Vita situation for Japan.

Q. What will happen with the [PS Vita] support within the country?

A. Manufacture of PS Vita [game] cards for within Japan will continue.

Q. Will manufacturing of the PS Vita hardware continue?

A. Since in Japan we want everyone who keeps playing to enjoy an extensive game line-up, at this present point we plan to continue our marketing activity.

I will translate the first question too for more completeness:

Q1:海外向けPS Vitaカード生産終了の報道は事実であるか
A1:米州および欧州地域向けのPlayStation Vitaカードの生産は2019年3月までに完了する。デジタルゲームの配信は継続。

Q1:I heard that PS Vita cards meant for overseas will go out of production, is that true?
A1:America and Europe region PlayStation Vita card production will end by March 2019. Digital game distribution will continue.

But I can see where the interview is coming from, I see quite some folks playing a PS Vita in the metro and train every day, primarily adults.
Even PSP at some occasions.

I can see them still being made for their home location, no importing fees on that.

Shipping and handling is also cheaper if the cartridges are still made in Japan or a nearby country like China or South Korea.

Back