Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Full year of Nintendo Online
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
Sony Computer Entertainment President of Worldwide Studios Shuhei Yoshida has confirmed the PlayStation Vita can only be used as a PlayStation 4 controller for games "specifically programmed" to utilize it.

The clarification came via Yoshida's Twitter account, when a user asked if PlayStation 4's portable buddy could be used as a secondary controller. "In a normal sense, no," responded Yoshida. "Unless a game is specifically programmed to allow such use of PS Vita."
source

I don't see why it wouldn't work for everything.

This is actually really old news, DS. Someone just reiterated it...

PS4 game streaming sound familiar?

You can use your Vita to stream games via the PS4 while you're not by your PS4. So, for instance, I could play on my nonexistent Vita in my living room instead of in my bedroom, where my fictitious PS4 is held.

It's probably because some games use PSMOVE, PSEYE, etc., and thus are incompatible. Additionally, many developers, for whatever reason, may wish to use the TV and Vita as separate screens, like with a DS/3DS-series (They're officially not the same series.) device, which would use the two different screens, enabling more stuff...but the Vita is a whole console, so I don't see why they would do that.

Additionally, it's laziness on someone's part in deciding to make it an optional API, like how Android is introducing a mainline safety tool to prevent kids from spending tons of cash on apps but the developers have to enable it.

Depressingly, I can legitimately state that ease of programming is valued over ALL other aspects of production. For instance, I know one Google employee who criticized my company for doing too much work on its own products, and not using others' material enough, despite the fact that we have criticism from another, much smaller group of programmers, claiming that we use too much.

This is why artists and programmers are constantly feuding over "reinvention". Artists believe in inspiration and unoriginality as normal things. Programmers scream "HOGWASH, WE REUSE OTHERS' WORK EVERYWHERE AND THEN CLAIM ORIGINALITY!".

I honestly prefer the artists because they aren't being complete hypocrites, despite being a software engineer (no longer a chief programmer).

In other words, the industry is basically dominated by idiots who are dumb as doorknobs and can't do their work so they outsource (or open source) their work to some guys who do the same thing in a cycle until you reach these less well known companies that are completely invisible to the public, mostly based in Russia, Korea, India, and PR China.

Back