[Walkthrough Discussion]Mario Kart 7; Cheats, Unlockables and More

CM30

Gaming Latest Admin and Gaming Reinvented Owner
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
A quick reference guide to anyone who's stuck in the game. Hope this helps some people!

Secret Characters

Note that you only get most of these in 150cc. So if you beat 150cc entirely, you'll easily unlock everyone.

Daisy

Win 150cc Mushroom Cup

Wario

Win 150cc Flower Cup

Rosalina

Win 150cc Star Cup

Metal Mario

Win 150cc Special Cup

Shy Guy

Win 150cc Shell Cup

Honey Queen

Win 150cc Banana Cup

Wiggler

Win 150cc Leaf Cup

Lakitu

Win 150cc Lightning Cup

Mii

Win all cups at any difficulty level

Kart Parts

You unlock these every 100 or so coins you get in the game. It's kind of random what parts you get for each amount of coins.

Mirror Mode

Beat all cups in 150cc.

Stars by Name

Beat all cups with a certain star rank (either at least one star on each, at least two stars on each or at least three stars on each). The lowest rank is what counts, so if all but one have three stars and that missing one has just one star, you'll have one star next to your name.

You can see it next to your name in your profile in the 'Mario Kart Channel' section.

'Expert' Staff Ghosts

There are two 'ghosts' for each track, usually including one by Nintendo and another by Retro Studios. However, the default one doesn't seem particularly good, does it? Well, no worries, there's a proper staff ghost (who's a lot better at the track in question) that's unlocked if you beat the first one. For example, for Bowser's Castle, the 'crap' staff ghost is:

Ret★Matt M

02:34:815

While the decent one is:

Ret★Tom

02:15:244

Note how much better the unlockable one is compared to the first guy.

Golden Tires

Get at least a one star rank on every cup. Extremely easy actually.

Rocket Start

Hold down A from when the 2 is disappearing in the pre race countdown to do a rocket/turbo start when the race begins.

Drafting

Not a cheat, but the manual still fails to mention it. Basically, stay closely behind someone for a few seconds (you'll see speed lines coming from your kart if you do it correctly), and you'll gain a boost of speed that will rocket you forwards. Watch out for items though, you've got no way to block them while drafting. Surprisingly, this does actually work in real life.

Character Stats

From Mario Wiki:

First number is speed, second acceleration, third weight, fourth handling and fifth off road.

[font=courier new,courier,monospace]Toad, Koopa Troopa, Lakitu, Shy Guy 3 4 2.25 3 4
Peach, Daisy, Yoshi 3.25 3.5 2.75 3 3.75
Mario, Luigi, Mii 3.5 3 3.25 2.75 3.75
Donkey Kong, Rosalina, Wiggler 3.75 2.5 3.75 2.5 3.75
Bowser, Wario, Metal Mario, Honey Queen 4 2 4.25 2.5 3.5[/font]

Intended Shortcuts

These are the ones Nintendo deliberately placed in the track, and some are surprisingly hard to find.

Toad Circuit

N/A

Daisy Hills

Just before the ramp leading to the section where you glide past some balloons to the windmills on the other side, there's a smaller ramp with boost pads to the left.

Cheep Cheep Lagoon

When you exit the water for the first time, take the left most path in the cave, which lets you glide over the water section which the others players have to take.

Shy Guy Bazaar

In the market, take the right most ramp and then follow the path across the rooftops of the various market stalls.

Wuhu Island Loop

When you get past the first 'checkpoint', and then the tunnel, you'll see a cave in the mountain below and to the right of the track. Drop down and follow the path to reach a gliding section which places you further out along the track. You can also continue gliding to a ramp to the left, to do some tricks and save even more time.

Bit further up there's some rocks sticking out the sea, one with a boost pad on it. Jump across them (it's harder than it looks).

Finally, while not exactly a 'short' cut, after the third 'checkpoint' the path splits. Take the one by the lighthouse to pass some boost pads and a glider section, which takes you around a fair bit of the course.

Mario Circuit

N/A

Melody Motorway/Music Park

After the Piranha Plants, there's a ramp to the left. Use a Mushroom to cross the grass and boost off it, then a trick to gain speed/save time.

After the music notes that bounce up and down, there's a bouncy drum platform just to the right of the track. Jump to it, and jump back to the track at the other side for a minor corner cut.

Alpine Pass

Just before the slope with all the boulders, there's a ramp in the grass. Boost over and jump off it to potentially save time.

Piranha Pipeway

At the end, you can glide over the castle's roof for coins. You can also blast past the cardboard bush ahead of you to get through a not very well hidden hole in the fence and cut the last corner.

Wario Galleon

There are a ton of different paths (at the start, in the ship's hull, at the end of the level), but none are too much shorter than each other to be honest. There's also a ramp right near the end that lets you cut off a bit of the last corner.

Koopa City/Neo Bowser City

At the end of the track, you can glide to the left and over a copy of the Koopa Clown Car (which is causing an updraft), to skip most of the first straightway.

Wuhu Mountain Loop

A bit after the start, and past the early 'ramps' you can see alternate roads and some ramps leading up to them. Jump off the ramps to the pieces of road in the grass and use them both to save some time (one leads directly to the next).

After the cave and first checkpoint, you can either go into the lake to the left for an alternate underwater route, or go through the castle's front door and follow the path to cut a corner. Both are useful to save a few seconds.

At the end, there also seems to be a boost pad on the roof of the hotel, which you can use with extremely good aim/timing.

Donkey Kong Jungle

Prior to the ramps leading to the Golden Temple, there's a ramp by one of the pools of mud. Go up it to get to use your glider and soar over the other races on the approach to the temple.

At the end, when the path splits, take the one without the coins to save some time.

Rosalina's Ice World

In the ice cave, stick to the right wall to find a hidden passage filled with boost pads that will save a ton of time. Or play the track against the computer opponents in 150cc, the best ones there tend to use the shortcut every single time.

Bowser's Castle

Just before the second Thwomp, look to the left to see a path leading through a tunnel, which brings you out on top of the rotating log found a bit later in the course.

The course is also absolutely filled with small jumps over lava, which can save some time and let you do some tricks for quick boosts of speed.

Rainbow Road

Just after the first checkpoint, you can jump across the corner that comes up, cutting much of it and saving some time.

List of 'Expert' Staff Ghost Times

New Tracks

Toad Circuit

Nin★Ishi 01:26:632

Daisy Hills

Nin★SASAKI 01:51:111

Cheep Cheep Lagoon

Nin★Tkdr 01:42.011 (with first person view)

Shy Guy Bazaar

Ret★RWO 02:14:714

Wuhu Island Loop

Nin★nkm 01:32:854

Mario Circuit

Nin★raba 02:10:018

Melody Motorway

Nin★Masa 02:07:511

Alpine Pass

Nin★Hiroma 02:19:149

Piranha Pipeway

Nin★JIKU 02:06:540

Wario Galleon

Nin★syun1 02:12:313

Koopa City

Ret★Matt M 01:58:996

Wuhu Mountain Loop

Nin★chucky 01:39:361

DK Jungle

Ret★Dupree 02:10:777

Rosalina's Ice World

Ret★Dax 02:13:091

Bowser's Castle

Ret★Tom 02:15:244

Rainbow Road

Nin★Asakur 01:52:077

Retro Tracks

Luigi Raceway

Nin★miyakw 01:52:206

Bowser Castle 1

Nin★hokwai 01:22:221

Mushroom Gorge

Ret★Jay 01:50:526

Luigi's Mansion

Ret★Vince 01:58:539

Koopa Troopa Beach

Nin★ueda 01:42:909 (with first person view)

Mario Circuit 2

Not sure

Coconut Mall

Ret★RyanP 02:14:167

Waluigi Pinball

Nin★Nshhr 02:27:574 (with first person view)

Kalimari Desert

Nin★KOZ★ 01:48:707

DK Pass

Not sure

Daisy Cruiser

Ret★Carlos 01:43:341

Maple Treeway

Ret★Bill 02:34:877

Koopa Cape

Ret★Shane 02:28:585

Dino Dino Jungle

Not sure

Airship Fortress

Ret★Shane 02:07:704

Rainbow Road (SNES)

Nin★SRIWtm 01:21:994

Not sure means I haven't beat them or played the track yet, so don't know the time for the better ghost. Get close to the above times and you'll presumably make them appear on the list.

Dodge a Blue Shell

You need a Mushroom unfortunatly, but use it just as the shell is falling on you and you'll blast out the way of it, dodging the shell at the last second and hopefully keeping your lead.

It's possible to get Mushrooms in first as well, but they're rare. The item box on DK Pass will always give you an item that allows you beat the Blue Shell...

Hope this guide of sorts helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always wondered why Rosalina was always on the heavy class....
Anyway other than that, great job Nin! This will definitely be helpful to future players.

Pretty good tips. Disappointing that Lakitu has so bad stats.
I even said "Nintendo's gonna do a dick move and make Lakitu have crap stats or something." earlier on.
And it happened.

Also when you are driving and jump over small bumps in the track it gives you a sort of mini boost when you hit the ground...

So all the weight classes share equal stats, unlike with Mario Kart Wii, where Funky Kong had the massive speed advantage with + 5 speed or something to any kart he drove in. This is interesting, should be fun to get Shy Guy in the best kart I can possibly can... *strokes imaginary beard*

This is a good topic though, it has taught me many things, and I shall jump back to it when I need to refer to some things (probably the staff ghost time trial times).

Mario Circuit 2 - Nin★==Kony 01:17:777
DK Pass - Nin★MaTU 02:16:534
Dino Dino Jungle - Ret★Will 02:14:430

I even said "Nintendo's gonna do a dick move and make Lakitu have crap stats or something." earlier on.
And it happened.

What do you mean his stats are bad? His acceleration is fantastic, along with his off road. Not to mention picking the right kart combination can utterly destroy your opponents.

And it happened.

What do you mean his stats are bad? His acceleration is fantastic, along with his off road. Not to mention picking the right kart combination can utterly destroy your opponents.

Good point, I was dumb enough to believe that 3 4 meant 3,4. Silly me.

Stat is such a weird word. You know how some people use it to mean "quickly". Eg - "bring me a sandwich STAT".
But yet if the word wasn't abbreviated, it wouldn't make any sense...

"Bring me that sandwich STATISTICALLY".

"o_O"

In my opinion, every character can be amazing in this game. With the customizable stuff and all, you can make one character have similar stats to another.

Hey, here's a pretty cool new shortcut on Rosalina's Ice World:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a3ljaTs6Kc&feature=g-u

Also, not exactly a glitch this time around, so it's not broken or overpowered.

Yeah, I tried it a few times when you first posted it. It's gonna take practice to do. Plus, with tons of people knocking into one another, I don't see it being practical at all. Maybe for time trial, but nothing else beyond that.

Yeah, I tried it a few times when you first posted it. It's gonna take practice to do. Plus, with tons of people knocking into one another, I don't see it being practical at all. Maybe for time trial, but nothing else beyond that.
I'd probably use dangerous shortcuts in a last-ditch attempt for online play. Either way, I don't see any real shortcuts on a course that is literally ice.

Back