Other Watch Out, Steam Deck: Leaks Put Asus ROG Ally Handheld Price at $699

DaBoss38

Staff member
Awards
Credits
Username Style
From PC Mag:

The upcoming Asus ROG Ally PC gaming handheld has wowed gaming fans by potentially giving us a next-generation Steam Deck before Valve. But one lingering mystery has been the price.

In some potentially good news, leaks suggest the ROG Ally will be well under $1,000. A Twitter user spotted a product page for the handheld on Best Buy, which revealed a $699 price.

The now-deleted page showed the $699 model will come with 16GB of LPDDR5 RAM and 512GB of NVME storage. That means the ROG Ally would only cost a little more than the most expensive Steam Deck model, which goes for $649 with 512GB of storage, 16GB of LPDDR5 RAM, and older specs. The base Steam Deck model costs $399 with only 64GB of built-in eMMC storage.

07GJk8cG3uVaTdjdCwQhbGY-2.fit_lim.size_768x.png

The $699 price also means the ROG Ally, which runs Windows, will be cheaper than many flagship smartphones and midrange laptops.

Another leaker on Twitter, SnoopyTech, also claims the $699 ROG Ally model will run AMD’s Ryzen Z1 Extreme chip, which contains eight CPU cores and 12 RDNA 3 compute units for the GPU. This suggests Asus might be preparing a more affordable ROG Ally that could use the lower-powered AMD Z1 chip, which features six CPU cores and four RDNA 3 compute units.

If real, the $699 price is surprising since the ROG Ally contains several improvements over the Steam Deck, including a 7-inch 1080p touch display with a 120Hz refresh rate, along with faster processors. The device also comes with Windows 11, instead of the Steam Deck’s Linux-based OS.

We’ll have to wait and see if the price leaks are true. Asus is holding a launch event for the ROG Ally on May 11, where it will announce pricing and availability.

From PC Mag:

The upcoming Asus ROG Ally PC gaming handheld has wowed gaming fans by potentially giving us a next-generation Steam Deck before Valve. But one lingering mystery has been the price.

In some potentially good news, leaks suggest the ROG Ally will be well under $1,000. A Twitter user spotted a product page for the handheld on Best Buy, which revealed a $699 price.

The now-deleted page showed the $699 model will come with 16GB of LPDDR5 RAM and 512GB of NVME storage. That means the ROG Ally would only cost a little more than the most expensive Steam Deck model, which goes for $649 with 512GB of storage, 16GB of LPDDR5 RAM, and older specs. The base Steam Deck model costs $399 with only 64GB of built-in eMMC storage.

07GJk8cG3uVaTdjdCwQhbGY-2.fit_lim.size_768x.png

The $699 price also means the ROG Ally, which runs Windows, will be cheaper than many flagship smartphones and midrange laptops.

Another leaker on Twitter, SnoopyTech, also claims the $699 ROG Ally model will run AMD’s Ryzen Z1 Extreme chip, which contains eight CPU cores and 12 RDNA 3 compute units for the GPU. This suggests Asus might be preparing a more affordable ROG Ally that could use the lower-powered AMD Z1 chip, which features six CPU cores and four RDNA 3 compute units.

If real, the $699 price is surprising since the ROG Ally contains several improvements over the Steam Deck, including a 7-inch 1080p touch display with a 120Hz refresh rate, along with faster processors. The device also comes with Windows 11, instead of the Steam Deck’s Linux-based OS.

We’ll have to wait and see if the price leaks are true. Asus is holding a launch event for the ROG Ally on May 11, where it will announce pricing and availability.
Windows tends to be more compatible with apps than Linux so this sounds like a big selling point. Imagine I can it playing DS and 3DS games really well with little effort to get set up. I would never know as I won't be getting it, but it has potential. However, you could just play the same things at home with way cheaper specs on a PC tower. Not sure what you would want to play, but most people won't always want to play the latest and greatest when you can get a Switch.

$699 is somewhat expensive. I feel I would prefer to play PC games on a desktop PC or laptop instead of a device with a 7 inch screen.

I'm not sure if playing older RPG and other types of PC games with lots of text subtitles would be enjoyable on a 7 inch screen.

Back