What are your thoughts on Nintendo mobile games?

Lleyn

Beep
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Nintendo announced that they would be releasing more and more mobile games in the future, and may even shift their focus away from home consoles.

I've played some of the mobile games myself, and enjoyed quite a few of them (FE Heroes, Pokemon Go/Quest, Dragalia Lost), but didn't really stick to any in the long run.

With Mario Kart arriving in March, more of their popular IPs may end up joining in (Zelda, Metroid, Splatoon, maybe even Smash lol).

How do you feel about these existing and upcoming games, and which franchise would you like to see on mobile?

It's not something I'm a fan of and if that is their future I may not be a future Nintendo fan. Granted though, they could never release a full Zelda game on a mobile.

I just hate mobile games. They lack the fun of actual video games because they're meant to be something you can play for a few minutes and turn off. Or you get the ones that you can only do for so long then you have to wait actual time before you can play again. Pokemon Go is the only one I still play. Here's a bit about the ones I've played and why I don't like them.

Fire Emblem Heroes: It's fun at first, but you can only use four characters on a team. It's hard to balance out a team and the further you get, the harder it gets, and not in a fun way. I remember being walled at a mission where you had to fight Ike and you only had 5 turns to do it and it was nearly impossible.

Miitomo: I really had no problem with this. I just didn't have a lot of people in my life who played this. I actually kind of liked this one. However, I wouldn't really call it a game.

Super Mario Run: This game is actually enjoyable. I paid $5 for it because I got it for Mar10 day. I would never pay $10 for this though. Especially since I haven't really touched it since. Remix mode is fun and I like the song and it's really cool that the singer is Daisy's VA, but again, there's not enough of a game to keep me playing.

Animal Crossing Pocket Camp: I didn't play this for the first three months of its life. I decided to try it one day and quit after day two. I just didn't get the AC experience I was hoping for.

I haven't tried Dragalia Lost and I doubt I ever will. I've heard nothing about it so I don't know if people like it or not. I just can't imagine it being interesting or holding my interest either.

We'll see how things go, but if they do drop the console market in favor of mobile games, well, I guess I wouldn't have any reason to play video games any more.

We'll see how things go, but if they do drop the console market in favor of mobile games, well, I guess I wouldn't have any reason to play video games any more.

Dropping home consoles doesn't necessarily mean they'll drop consoles altogether. There's still handhelds.

Even if they do stop making consoles, they could still develop games for others eventually.

I'm okay with Nintendo making mobile games, however, I hope that they will continue to make consoles in the future. With the Switch though it is both a home console and a handheld though. So they prove that they can do both with that one.

I'm fine with Nintendo making mobile games since modern smartphones and tablets can play games like Fortnite, and you can use a wireless controller to play some mobile games which support controllers.

Smartphones and tablets are better for gaming compared to a few years ago when mobile gaming was mostly simple games like Angry Birds, and smartphones were not as good at displaying modern games like Fortnite and Pubg mobile. There are now smartphones like Razer Phone and Asus ROG gaming smartphone with custom made controller accessories which are designed to work best for gaming smartphones and tablets.

The only thing I'm worried about with having these games on my smart phone is I don't want to burn through my battery and end up with a dead phone before I make it back home.

The only thing I'm worried about with having these games on my smart phone is I don't want to burn through my battery and end up with a dead phone before I make it back home.

I agree low battery levels from playing mobile games can be a problem. I think older Nintendo games like older Super Mario games and Gameboy may not use a lot of battery power when playing them for an hour because these games can run on a Gameboy Advance which used to run off of two regular AA batteries.

I prefer Nintendo's non mobile games. However, I did enjoy the launch of Pokémon GO. Encountering all those new people, discovering the Pokémon community in my country was quite the blast.

Back