What do you think of electronics with non-removable HDMI cables or plugs?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
I find it annoying that devices like Chromecast, and Amazon Fire TV Stick have the HDMI plug or cable built-into the device, so it makes it more difficult for users to replace a broken plug or cable compared to a game consoles like the PS3 or desktop PC where the video cable is removable, and easy to replace when broken.

I occasionally see something with a non removable power plug (it's a pain to power cycle), but HDMI? Never seen that and it would be very annoying.

I occasionally see something with a non removable power plug (it's a pain to power cycle), but HDMI? Never seen that and it would be very annoying.
Same here but yeah never seen HDMI cable being stuck and can't be removed. Indeed it would be annoying as.

The 2015 Google Chromecast, and Amazon Fire TV 4K Settop box have cables which look harder to remove because the Cable is stuck inside the case.

The original Chromecast and Fire TV Stick had only a metal HDMI plug sticking out of the device.

froggyboy604 froggyboy604

huh, can't believe they do it like that. So if the cables become bad your whole device is shot?

I think you can use a special flat tool to pry open the device, and replace the defective cable by unplugging it from the circuit board, and replacing the cable sort of like laptops where you need to open the laptop to replace a broken video cable.

But, finding a replacement video cable for the new Chromecast 2015 or Fire TV 4K would be difficult, so you may need to end up making your own cable from another HDMI cable you own.

It maybe cheaper to just buy a new Chromecast 2015 or Fire TV 4K than to hire someone to replace the HDMI video cable, and buy a replacement video cable.

One of the advantages of using a PC or game console for watching video is that the video cable is easy to replace by just unplugging it unlike the Chromecast and Fire TV 4K which require you to take it apart to install a replacement cable.

Last edited:
One of the advantages of using a PC or game console for watching video is that the video cable is easy to replace by just unplugging it unlike the Chromecast and Fire TV 4K which require you to take it apart to install a replacement cable.
And that one reason why PCs are better than consoles :grin:

And that one reason why PCs are better than consoles :grin:

I remember in the past like PS2, Xbox 360 original, and N64, consoles had video cables which are exclusive to only their consoles, and replacement video cables cost a lot of money.

I remember in the past like PS2, Xbox 360 original, and N64, consoles had video cables which are exclusive to only their consoles, and replacement video cables cost a lot of money.
Some desktop computers are like that and the other day I seen a computer screen that use their own power cable for that screen and that it. So those days are not over sadly.

Some desktop computers are like that and the other day I seen a computer screen that use their own power cable for that screen and that it. So those days are not over sadly.

I think the old CRT Tube monitors usually had the video cable connected to the monitor/case, and there maybe a few LCD monitors which has a built-in video cable which is non-removable until you open the case of the monitor, and unattach the video cable from the monitor's circuit board.

Most monitors I own either had a non-removable power cable connected to the screen, or uses a power adapter with its own exclusive power cable which only works for the monitor's power adapter. I only used one monitor where the monitor uses a standard power cable which is the same type of power cable from an Desktop PC ATX power supply.

It's not really that expensive, the video cables for game consoles don't cost that much money, and a lot of consoles used the same composite cable for multiple consoles. I never owned a PS1, but the PS2 and PS3 use the same composite/component cables, and Nintendo had the same one from SNES all the way to Gamecube. The only expensive console cable I can think of is the Gamecube component cables, largely due to rarity, but finding a Nintendo composite cable shouldn't run you much money at all. Or you can buy multi-console composite cables, so you just have to swap the video cables out of the console itself, as most people never owned composite switches.

It's not really that expensive, the video cables for game consoles don't cost that much money, and a lot of consoles used the same composite cable for multiple consoles. I never owned a PS1, but the PS2 and PS3 use the same composite/component cables, and Nintendo had the same one from SNES all the way to Gamecube. The only expensive console cable I can think of is the Gamecube component cables, largely due to rarity, but finding a Nintendo composite cable shouldn't run you much money at all. Or you can buy multi-console composite cables, so you just have to swap the video cables out of the console itself, as most people never owned composite switches.

The older video cables for the PS1, PS2, and Original Xbox do cost more than composite video cables which come with DVD players, and TVs. You can buy regular composite and coax cables for a $10 or less dollars at a regular store like Wal-Mart, or $1-5 on eBay and Amazon.

The older video cables for the PS1, PS2, and Original Xbox do cost more than composite video cables which come with DVD players, and TVs. You can buy regular composite and coax cables for a $10 or less dollars at a regular store like Wal-Mart, or $1-5 on eBay and Amazon.

Did you look this up, because you can find those same cables you mentioned for $5. So I’m not sure where you’re getting really expensive from if I can buy a Nintendo video cable for $5 and it works on 3 consoles.

Did you look this up, because you can find those same cables you mentioned for $5. So I’m not sure where you’re getting really expensive from if I can buy a Nintendo video cable for $5 and it works on 3 consoles.

Stores like Radio Shack and other offline stores like EBWorld/Gamestop used to sell game console video and power cables for more than $5 when I shopped at those stores more often.

Stores like Radio Shack and other offline stores like EBWorld/Gamestop used to sell game console video and power cables for more than $5 when I shopped at those stores more often.

I had the feeling that you were thinking of old prices, as those prices haven't really been relevant for quite awhile. Unless you're buying multi-console cables, or the Gamecube component cables, replacement cables don't cost much of anything anymore.

Back