What if your favorite website suddenly disappears?

Claraviolet

Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Unlock full profile styling
I don't think I will be able to take it well.

It all comes down to just how much you care and all but I believe they should be responsible enough to give a heads-up.

I'm basically an internet veteran, I've seen websites suddenly disappear more than once.
Reaction depend on how close I was to it, but I always end up accepting it later on.

That's me....my reaction depends on how close I was to the site that went down. However, if the owner chooses to close their site then that is their choice to make, even if we don't like it. Some people may have a good reason for not continuing the project, like maybe they have to take care of a sick family member and that causes them to not have time for the site anymore. Some people might argue that they can just turn the site over to someone else, however, the site may not remain the same once that happens. Whoever takes over the project will probably have different views on how the site should be ran and you may not agree with that person. So there's always a chance that you may not like the site as much as you use to.

My favorite website is my own and I don't think it'll ever disappear.

Sites like Google, Facebook, Twitch, ESPN, and YouTube are also favorites of mine. Again, these aren't going anywhere either.

I'm basically an internet veteran, I've seen websites suddenly disappear more than once.
Reaction depend on how close I was to it, but I always end up accepting it later on.

Same. I saw websites getting shut down, but most of them just change servers and adress. For example, from .com to .ru but sometimes they are disappearing for a long time. Then the sad part is when there is someone bought the domain name, I got my hopes up but then realize it's not the same thing anymore.

I've been on the net for over 10 years now, sadly there are many times I've seen good sites vanish over night, some more destructive than others. Its very sad.

Same. I saw websites getting shut down, but most of them just change servers and adress. For example, from .com to .ru but sometimes they are disappearing for a long time. Then the sad part is when there is someone bought the domain name, I got my hopes up but then realize it's not the same thing anymore.
Change of server and/or domain really have to be taken with care.

When changing domain names, I always make sure I keep the old one, and make it instantly redirect to the new one.
Like how 076.wtf redirects to 076.ne.jp (at the moment of writing there's only an SSL issue with the WTF domain, but that's because I didn't have the time to fix it yet, I have a proper certificate, but the web server doesn't want to eat that for some reason).

And when changing servers, I always make sure I first put a website in read-only mode, then copy everything over to the new server, set everything up on the new server, temporarily change my local hosts file to make sure everything works fine, then change the DNS and wait until it gets in effect, and once confirmed working (I normally put a simple text file on the new server only to check), and take the website off the old server, and put the website on the new server back in interaction mode.

I most likely be sad if my favorite site is gone because there would be a lot of members I no longer talk to if I don't talk to them on other websites. I will miss the content like web games, videos, and articles which I can no longer view, and did not physically download to my computer.

I most likely be sad if my favorite site is gone because there would be a lot of members I no longer talk to if I don't talk to them on other websites. I will miss the content like web games, videos, and articles which I can no longer view, and did not physically download to my computer.
Actually, you do download them, except you don't realise that yourself.
And it's temporary too, so that the browser can then load the same content faster during the same session.

Downloading is the wayyy.

Actually, you do download them, except you don't realise that yourself.
And it's temporary too, so that the browser can then load the same content faster during the same session.

There maybe some anti-piracy software on a website which make viewing the files not possible if you do not have the key or software to decrypt the file. I think some websites require Microsoft Silverlight to view videos rather than using HTML5 and Adobe Flash video where it is simpler to download and view the files offline.

The files also may get overwritten and deleted after a few hours of browsing.

Some web games may also require a server for it to work because of anti-piracy software, and for online multiplayer.

There maybe some anti-piracy software on a website which make viewing the files not possible if you do not have the key or software to decrypt the file. I think some websites require Microsoft Silverlight to view videos rather than using HTML5 and Adobe Flash video where it is simpler to download and view the files offline.

The files also may get overwritten and deleted after a few hours of browsing.

Some web games may also require a server for it to work because of anti-piracy software, and for online multiplayer.
Silverlight still exist!?
I have not seen any website require it (good, because there was no Linux version, and Moonlight was just terrible forever).

That has happened a lot to us Anime fans. At first it was difficult to cope with, but eventually I moved on to lesser sites.

Silverlight still exist!?
I have not seen any website require it (good, because there was no Linux version, and Moonlight was just terrible forever).

Silverlight 5 still get security updates and bug fixes. Silverlight 5 end of life date October 2021 according to Microsoft Silverlight - Wikipedia .

Netflix still support Silverlight 4 and 5 according to Netflix system requirements for HTML5 Player and Silverlight . I think there are still are many thousands to millions of Netflix users who sometimes use a Windows XP, Vista, and 7 computer, and Internet Explorer 7, 8, and other web browsers like older versions of Firefox which may not fully support HTML5 video and video codecs which Netflix uses, so Silverlight may work better than Adobe Flash which is known for slowing down computers with slower processors, less RAM, and older video cards.

Back