What kind of retail stores are more stressfull to work at?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
I think gas stations can be one of the more stressfull types of retail stores to work at because there is a risk of being injured or killed in a gas explosion and fire when you work near many gas pumps, sell propane, other flammable liquids and gases and there is a gas truck which occasionally fills up the gas tank for the gas pumps. The workers at the gas station need to use a fire extinguisher to put out a fire, and possibly rescue someone who is on fire or trapped inside a burning car.

I also hear a lot of news stories of gas stations being robbed by a robber with a weapon like a knife or gun, or the gas gets stolen where robbers use a barrel to steal gas, and the gas may explode while being filled into a barrel. Gas stations also seem to attract homeless people who use the gas station to beg for money, and do other stuff, so the cashier sometimes need to ask them to leave the station.

Plus, the cashier sometimes need to sell food, give directions, clean the toilet and floors, stock the shelves with food, and other stuff, and also do simple car repair like replacing a car battery, or pouring in windshield washer liquid into a car since most gas stations also has a store and sells food like donuts, and car products.

I guest, it can sometimes be a lonely job if the gas station just hires 1 cashier to manage the whole station.

As a retail worker *shivers* I do agree gas station would be the worse since you are just a high target value for everything. I simply rather not work retail though.

Retail in general seems like a stressful field to be in. There's a reason I've never worked there, and that's because I'd probably have a breakdown if I had to deal with customers all day long.

Retail is a stressful environment, regardless of what kind of retail it is. There are several reasons for this.

There are plenty of times that I've found myself working when there isn't enough help around. Now, there have been some instances I've been in where people called in and didn't show up for their shift, which leaves everyone else to pick up the slack. Then there have been instances when the management doesn't schedule enough people to work, or they don't hire enough people to meet the demands of the working environment, and that also forces everyone that is there to pick up the slack. I've been in both situations and neither one is very fun. There was one instance where I was sick and my hubby called my work to tell my boss that I wouldn't be able to come to work. The boss proceeded to ask my hubby if he'd drug me up and send me to work anyway because my boss only scheduled two people to open the store that morning (him and myself). I had pneumonia and the boss expected me to come to work anyway. Luckily, the doctor gave me a note saying that I had to take a week off and I had some extra vacation time that I could use so that I could get paid for being off.

Retail is a stressful environment, regardless of what kind of retail it is. There are several reasons for this.

There are plenty of times that I've found myself working when there isn't enough help around. Now, there have been some instances I've been in where people called in and didn't show up for their shift, which leaves everyone else to pick up the slack. Then there have been instances when the management doesn't schedule enough people to work, or they don't hire enough people to meet the demands of the working environment, and that also forces everyone that is there to pick up the slack. I've been in both situations and neither one is very fun. There was one instance where I was sick and my hubby called my work to tell my boss that I wouldn't be able to come to work. The boss proceeded to ask my hubby if he'd drug me up and send me to work anyway because my boss only scheduled two people to open the store that morning (him and myself). I had pneumonia and the boss expected me to come to work anyway. Luckily, the doctor gave me a note saying that I had to take a week off and I had some extra vacation time that I could use so that I could get paid for being off.

All I can say is look at it from his point of view, no one wants to handle a store alone. Sometimes you can't get people to work for you either which leaves people strained. But you just have to make the best of it, good thing you got the note though.

All I can say is look at it from his point of view, no one wants to handle a store alone. Sometimes you can't get people to work for you either which leaves people strained. But you just have to make the best of it, good thing you got the note though.

I agree working alone at stores is not a good experience espiecally if it is a store which sells beer and addictive drugs like pain killers. Sometimes drunk people go to beer stores to get more drunk, steal beer, and cause problems when drunk.

I don't disagree with you, DS. I wouldn't want to work a store alone either. But you can't ask someone who has pneumonia to drug themselves up so they can come on in to work either. I was so weak, I couldn't even get out of bed. There would have been no way that I would have been able to go to work and function normally in the condition that I was in. Also, it was one of those situations where the manager didn't really schedule anyone else. There was usually at least 3 people that would open up in the morning. So he would have had someone else working with him if he had scheduled one more person to work on that particular day. Plus, it's not like I got sick on purpose on a day when he only scheduled the two of us to open the store.

I don't disagree with you, DS. I wouldn't want to work a store alone either. But you can't ask someone who has pneumonia to drug themselves up so they can come on in to work either. I was so weak, I couldn't even get out of bed. There would have been no way that I would have been able to go to work and function normally in the condition that I was in. Also, it was one of those situations where the manager didn't really schedule anyone else. There was usually at least 3 people that would open up in the morning. So he would have had someone else working with him if he had scheduled one more person to work on that particular day. Plus, it's not like I got sick on purpose on a day when he only scheduled the two of us to open the store.

None of us get sick on purpose, I think... anyways he shouldn't have asked you that anyways because you would have been not very helpful. He should have been begging his other staff like my boss does when someone calls in.

I agree with you on that, DS. He should have asked someone else to come in that morning in my place. After all, he often begged me to come in on my days off to replace someone else who didn't show up so I don't know why someone else couldn't have done it that one time I had pneumonia.

I agree with you on that, DS. He should have asked someone else to come in that morning in my place. After all, he often begged me to come in on my days off to replace someone else who didn't show up so I don't know why someone else couldn't have done it that one time I had pneumonia.

I'm guessing you're the best of the best?

It would have to be a gas station or a technology store. For the technology store, I don't even think that getting robbed bit is that stressful compared to the stress from the customers. Imagine having to explain things to people who don't know much about tech or trying to explain that there is nothing wrong with the tech they bought, they just need to turn it on every day. Stressful!

I'm guessing you're the best of the best?

I guess so. I don't think he realized it.

All retail jobs are stressful. I'm very glad to be on disability now.

I agree. I believe all retail jobs are stressful, probably for different reasons. I'm sure they're all stressful around Christmas time though as that is the busiest shopping time of the year.

Honestly, I know that people would always mention gas station and such....but ...according to me, cloth stores are a pain to work as an employee. I don't have any right to say stuff like this....but most of the people make the employees open too many designs here and even at the end...they might not even purchase a single thing....so....

I agree with Clara. Cloth stores or mall department stores are such pain. You need to stand up there for hours and get the clothes for the customer. In the end, sometimes, the customer don't have the size so you to look for it also sometimes the customers in the end don't like the design and leave.

Back