What's your stance on speedrunning?

PenguinManiac

Credits
For those who don't know, speedrunning is an activity that involves completing games in the shortest possible time, with or without the use of glitches. For clarity purposes, we're just going to talk about standard speedruns rather than TASs (Tool-Assisted Speedruns), which make use of external tools to assist speedrunners by manipulating the game itself (e.g. RNG manipulation) and are somewhat trickier to talk about.
If you have never watched speedrunning or if you want to give it a shot, please give Games Done Quick a watch. It's a non-stop speedrunning marathon for charity, it will last until Sunday. The commentary is very detailed and it gives a nice insight.

I personally love speedrunning, because I love seeing the games I like behave in unexpected ways (for glitch runs), but what I like even more is watching how smooth people who have played the game hundreds of times can be. It just gives me a huge sense of satisfaction (and, well, yeah, it may be also due to the thought "Maybe one day I'll do that too!").
However, some people (reasonably) don't appreciate the chopped experience, and they feel that speedrunning a game takes the fun out and, as a consequence, they don't find it enjoyable.
What do you think about it?

Speed running is cool, but I don't usually watch them. I think it would be fun to speed run Mario 64 though. That's a pretty good starting game.

It's cool, can be neat how they got about getting it done specially on speedrun vs speedrun. But not something I really would do myself.

Would I ever try to attempt speedrunning myself? No, because it just isn't my way of playing games. I much prefer playing at my own pace without feeling the need to rush. Especially in RPG games, I play so slowly just that I can fully experience the game environment and all the extra little things.

Do I ever watch speedrunning? Hell yes! I actually often watch speedrunning of different games. I even watched a guy speedrunning the Zelda Ocarina of Time. I think that it's a different way of playing the game and it shows some tricks/really fast routes that you had no idea existed. I saw some guy speedrunning Bloodborne without getting hit, at all. There were many intense moments.

Do I ever watch speedrunning? Hell yes! I actually often watch speedrunning of different games. I even watched a guy speedrunning the Zelda Ocarina of Time. I think that it's a different way of playing the game and it shows some tricks/really fast routes that you had no idea existed. I saw some guy speedrunning Bloodborne without getting hit, at all. There were many intense moments.
Ocarina of Time speedruns are insane. A streamer I used to follow, CosmoWright, once explained how some glitches he used worked and how much precision was required, and most viewers (me included) couldn't even follow his reasoning, let alone the execution. It involved getting hit by a falling rock at a very precise angle and with the right timing in the final stairs after Ganon's boss battle to get a sort of super acceleration. I still remember the excitement when he managed to get that right. That's what I love about speedrunning.

I'm not really fan of trying to do them. Do I enjoy watching them? Sure, that's I think the only type of let's play I'll probably watch. Speedrunning involves mastery of the game's layout and enemy positions, creating the fastest route to your destination, and having a ton of luck not to meet anything that will prolong your run. It's pretty impressive when other people do it, but when I try it, it's just frustrating for me and would just be wasting my time getting upset over nothing.

I wouldn't try and speedrun a game and to be honest I think that speed running a game ruined the game and experience.

I like watching it, and I'm somewhat involved in some speedrunning communities as someone who finds glitches that can be used to save time, but it's not how I like to play games on a personal level.

I think the people who can do it are talented and obviously have a lot of passion for the game they speed run. It's not for me though.

It's cool, can be neat how they got about getting it done specially on speedrun vs speedrun. But not something I really would do myself.

This is me. I wouldn't really participate in any kind of speedrunning. To me, it seems to take all the fun out of playing that game if you're playing the game as fast as humanly possible.

I like speedruns a lot. Only one I've really done is RE4 in 2:14. It's very time consuming but it's fun to show a friend of mine some tricks. I watched him play through half of MGS in like 9 hours, he's not a very fast player as you may be able to guess. But through the use of glitches I jumped half the game in like 5 minutes. Blew his mind. :p

I like speedruns a lot. Only one I've really done is RE4 in 2:14. It's very time consuming but it's fun to show a friend of mine some tricks. I watched him play through half of MGS in like 9 hours, he's not a very fast player as you may be able to guess. But through the use of glitches I jumped half the game in like 5 minutes. Blew his mind. :p

It's funny when you run into some glitches sometimes. It's even funnier when you can use them to blow someone's mind. Pranking someone once in a while might be something I'd do from time to time but I wouldn't do it just because. I still prefer to play it the way it's suppose to be played.

Back