Which Anime to start watching a newbie?

Alehr

Credits
Hello! In my guest post, the guys asked me if I watch anime. I answered that no. But right now, after work, I understand that I have nothing to look at (Rick and Morty, who I'm looking for now is coming to an end). I thought, why not watch anime (well, at least try). From which series will recommend? Naruto, Pokemon, Sailor Moon do not offer :) thanks!

If you like samurai based sword fighting, sword of the stranger is pretty good imo, It's a one shot anime movie though:

I think newbie like you will enjoy "Isekai" animes (those are where the mc got transferred to a game-like world)
1. MC got stucked in a game: [Sword Art Online] (most recommended for newbies)
2. MC died and got transferred to a game-like world and live as a hero: [Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuko wo!] (Comedy)
3. Time travelling + transferred to other world + MC is a NEET/Shut-in: [Rezero kara hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu]
4. Genius strategist in a game world: [Log Horizon]
5. 2 MC that never had been defeated: [No Game No Life]
6. Reversed "Isekai" Characters from other world got transferred to this world: [Re:Creators]
7. Reversed "Isekai" demon and angels got transferred here lived and part time at McDonalds and BPO company: [Hataraku maou-sama]
8. Japan national defense goes to another world a.k.a. military fought at another world: [Gate Jietai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri]

More complicated anime that might interest you is:
1. Time travel + mad scientist + college students + Computers: [Steins;Gate]
2. Mafia + Revenge + Badass MC: [91 Days]
3. Badass bloody fights with super powers vs a rotten government forces: [Akame ga kiru!]
4. Mafia + Superpowers and weird characters: [Durarara]
5. Mafia, Detectives, Guild and superpowers: [Bungou stray dogs] (This is a cool one)
6. Cute girls doing cute things a.k.a. making a game: [New Game] and [New Game!!]
7. Cute girls version of james bond: [Princess Principal] (This will have upcoming movie next year)
8. Harem + working on game as a programmer: [Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata]

Other anime you might like as you are just starting:
1. If you are a fan of Japanese Railways: [Rail Wars!]
2. Daily life of a sibling: [Himouto! Umaru chan]
3. NEET + No Job + Failure + Pretending to be working on a company but not + Salaryman: [Relife]
4. Shut-in MC, anti social, adult mc, very dark theme comedy: [Youkoso ni NHK]

Old but gold:
1. Romance and comedy and a bit of drama: [Toradora]
2. Military and world domination: [Code Geass]

I think newbie like you will enjoy "Isekai" animes (those are where the mc got transferred to a game-like world)
1. MC got stucked in a game: [Sword Art Online] (most recommended for newbies)
2. MC died and got transferred to a game-like world and live as a hero: [Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuko wo!] (Comedy)
3. Time travelling + transferred to other world + MC is a NEET/Shut-in: [Rezero kara hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu]
4. Genius strategist in a game world: [Log Horizon]
5. 2 MC that never had been defeated: [No Game No Life]
6. Reversed "Isekai" Characters from other world got transferred to this world: [Re:Creators]
7. Reversed "Isekai" demon and angels got transferred here lived and part time at McDonalds and BPO company: [Hataraku maou-sama]
8. Japan national defense goes to another world a.k.a. military fought at another world: [Gate Jietai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri]

More complicated anime that might interest you is:
1. Time travel + mad scientist + college students + Computers: [Steins;Gate]
2. Mafia + Revenge + Badass MC: [91 Days]
3. Badass bloody fights with super powers vs a rotten government forces: [Akame ga kiru!]
4. Mafia + Superpowers and weird characters: [Durarara]
5. Mafia, Detectives, Guild and superpowers: [Bungou stray dogs] (This is a cool one)
6. Cute girls doing cute things a.k.a. making a game: [New Game] and [New Game!!]
7. Cute girls version of james bond: [Princess Principal] (This will have upcoming movie next year)
8. Harem + working on game as a programmer: [Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata]

Other anime you might like as you are just starting:
1. If you are a fan of Japanese Railways: [Rail Wars!]
2. Daily life of a sibling: [Himouto! Umaru chan]
3. NEET + No Job + Failure + Pretending to be working on a company but not + Salaryman: [Relife]
4. Shut-in MC, anti social, adult mc, very dark theme comedy: [Youkoso ni NHK]

Old but gold:
1. Romance and comedy and a bit of drama: [Toradora]
2. Military and world domination: [Code Geass]

I think that you gave me good food for thought. Thank you!

I saw the sword master online. Well, I'm more exacting the first six episodes of the show. The idea at first liked .... but it became boring.

I can give you the best recommendations, but first off what kind of stuff do you think you are into? Large explosive battles? Robots? magcial stuff? guns?

Tnx for a reply! Firstly, I like more serious genres and where there are no unnatural (but inherent anime) jumps, strikes, blasting of the planets, etc. (unless it is caused by over technology). Robots do not fit, guns 50 \ 50. Most of all, like a serious RPG theme, a little magic or alchemy. I remembered that the children were still showing "Sakura" (well, or I do not know how the original is called) where the girl released a deck of cards and then she caught it. That was generally interesting. You note: although I wrote that I do not watch anime, but before 6-7 years old I was a child and did not go through what to watch :) I did not have the Internet and all the cartoons were interesting to me.

Tnx for a reply! Firstly, I like more serious genres and where there are no unnatural (but inherent anime) jumps, strikes, blasting of the planets, etc. (unless it is caused by over technology). Robots do not fit, guns 50 \ 50. Most of all, like a serious RPG theme, a little magic or alchemy. I remembered that the children were still showing "Sakura" (well, or I do not know how the original is called) where the girl released a deck of cards and then she caught it. That was generally interesting. You note: although I wrote that I do not watch anime, but before 6-7 years old I was a child and did not go through what to watch :) I did not have the Internet and all the cartoons were interesting to me.

Code Geass
Shuumatsu no izetta
Guilty Crown

It depends on the genre.
If you like comedy, then watch saiki kusuo, gintama, kyou kara ore wa.
If you like action, try one piece, naruto, bleach, seirei no moribito :grin:

When I introduce people to anime, I ask what type of TV shows they like in general, then find something based on what they like. The trap I see people fall into when it comes to introducing anime is when they treat it as a singular genre.

I suggest that you start with Naruto. Since you are new, you'll get a taste of different genres though it's strictly action first. You get to see comedy, a bit of horror, romance (little bit) and it gives you a sense of what anime is and how they present these situations. Also it has a nice story and character development.

Back