Who feels Pokemon shouldn't have levels anymore?

Bebo3

Awards
Credits
With X and Y coming out and the "look" of pokemon is going to be different with 3D and all should they change the games a little bit? Like no more levels and Not knowing when you're pokemon is gonna evolve..and then gettin a pokemon to level 100 and just seems unfair for anything you battle.. Suggest something you think they should change for newer games.

With X and Y coming out and the "look" of pokemon is going to be different with 3D and all should they change the games a little bit? Like no more levels and Not knowing when you're pokemon is gonna evolve..and then gettin a pokemon to level 100 and just seems unfair for anything you battle.. Suggest something you think they should change for newer games.

If it isn't broke don't fix it, right? Changing anything about the basic system used in the games would be too risky for Nintendo and Game Freak to do with their number 1 selling franchise. Remove the level system? That makes it no longer an RPG so what would be the point in progressing or evolving the Pokémon? I don't exactly understand what you are picturing, here. You want it to become a real time hack and slash adventure? That may be pretty cool as a spin-off.

Level build up Pokemon. With out them it would be impossible to know when it will evolve or when it will get moves. That's one thing I don't like about the Pokemon anime. I mean it's cool to see Pokemon evolve unexpectedly, but still.

Yeah, I wouldn't buy it if they removed the leveling system, that would make it a kids game.

removing levels would ultimately be the death of the game. If you honestly want a pokemon themed game without levels, consider Pokemon Conquest and other side games that involve more puzzle and brain work than RPG grinding. Now if you ask me for something to change, I'd say change some of the pokemon stats to reflect reality. There are pokemon like Wailord that look more threatening than they actually are. You'd think Wailord would have defensive stats that would make Steelix jealous. Meanwhile, it's HP is the only thing saving it from suffering OHKO syndrome. I really want to avoid the "give X pokemon an evolution", but if you aren't going to give pokemon that could use an evolution one, at least balance their stats better.

removing levels would ultimately be the death of the game. If you honestly want a pokemon themed game without levels, consider Pokemon Conquest and other side games that involve more puzzle and brain work than RPG grinding.

But even Pokemon Conquest has a leveling system, though actual levels are not specifically given. The attributes all rise after gaining EXP and have set amounts at which they evolve. Levels just make it easier to tell what you have/are going up against and allow the game to make more fair multiplayer (I did not care for the flat battle only rules of Pokemon Conquest as it defeated the only purpose of raising the Pokemon's stats).

Taking away levels is, in my opinion, basically just making a too-easy kiddie's game. I probably would not buy a Pokemon game without levels.

If it isn't broke don't fix it, right? Changing anything about the basic system used in the games would be too risky for Nintendo and Game Freak to do with their number 1 selling franchise. Remove the level system? That makes it no longer an RPG so what would be the point in progressing or evolving the Pokémon? I don't exactly understand what you are picturing, here. You want it to become a real time hack and slash adventure? That may be pretty cool as a spin-off.it would be a great in idea it would be just like the cartoon yes it makes since the rest of u hating.;)

Do you want Pokémon to be a preschool level game?

Wait seriously?

If the level system was removed then it would be a spin off. It would be like removing swordplay from Zelda. The other items would be there, but do you use any as much?

Aint gonna happen.

If the level system was removed then it would be a spin off. It would be like removing swordplay from Zelda. The other items would be there, but do you use any as much?

Aint gonna happen.

LOL that is a horrible example... ever played Link's Awakening? Shield and boomerang and bow and bomb your way through that game if you want. Boomerang trounces almost everything XD It is a valid point but Zelda is a bad example XD I'd go with Metroid without a plasma cannon.

Vincerific, on 25 Mar 2013 - 02:36, said:
Blue, on 24 Mar 2013 - 23:35, said:If the level system was removed then it would be a spin off. It would be like removing swordplay from Zelda. The other items would be there, but do you use any as much?

Aint gonna happen.LOL that is a horrible example... ever played Link's Awakening? Shield and boomerang and bow and bomb your way through that game if you want. Boomerang trounces almost everything XD It is a valid point but Zelda is a bad example XD I'd go with Metroid without a plasma cannon.

Aww man, the boomerang from Link's Awakening was awesome! You could use it to skip half of level 7 by getting the item almost straight away...

To be more specific, Imagine any Zelda game other than LA without the sword.

Vincerific, on 25 Mar 2013 - 02:36, said:
Blue, on 24 Mar 2013 - 23:35, said:If the level system was removed then it would be a spin off. It would be like removing swordplay from Zelda. The other items would be there, but do you use any as much?

Aint gonna happen.LOL that is a horrible example... ever played Link's Awakening? Shield and boomerang and bow and bomb your way through that game if you want. Boomerang trounces almost everything XD It is a valid point but Zelda is a bad example XD I'd go with Metroid without a plasma cannon.

Aww man, the boomerang from Link's Awakening was awesome! You could use it to skip half of level 7 by getting the item almost straight away...

To be more specific, Imagine any Zelda game other than LA without the sword.

Really, any LoZ game can ultimately have the sword mechanic minimized or removed. Ocarina of Time, I felt I more often had the sling shot, deku nuts or the bow at the ready. At times when it was hand to hand combat, I often opted for the megaton hammer. Even as a "kid" you did more damage using the deku sticks than you did with the sword (often scoring a OHKO if you used them right). I think a more fair example would have been to compare gameplay to gameplay as opposed to gameplay to one item in a game. Savvy?

I dont think leveling should be altered for the single player but I definitely think something should be fixed about it for multiplayer,it definitely does feel like battles are one sided so I agree with you in that regard. I think for multiplayer should switch over to pokemon stadium style and force all the pokemon to be the same level. Pokemon is so unpleasant during multiplayer becuase it seems like the player that takes the most unconventional way to train,wins. For multiplayer,something needs to change in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont think leveling should be altered for the single player but I definitely think something should be fixed about it for multiplayer,it definitely does feel like battles are one sided so I agree with you in that regard. I think for multiplayer should switch over to pokemon stadium style and force all the pokemon to be the same level. Pokemon is so unpleasant during multiplayer becuase it seems like the player that takes the most unconventional way to train,wins. For multiplayer,something needs to change in my opinion.

When you battle you can set it so both opponents are the same level, such as 50, regardless as to if they are level 5 or 100 in actuality.

OFC not. I mean the main pokemon games are RPGs,and rpgs without level are... not rpgs xD.

Like Mario without enemies. You're like, 'Well, what the heck can I do now? I have nothing to do.'

Sounds like youre just lazy. I mean come on. No levels? Thats just stupid. And battling real people wont always be fair anyway with people hacking the games ._. So um...yeah. Lets keep lvls. I like them.

Back