Why a multi-region Pokemon game couldn't work (and why it could too)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NintenDan

Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Don't get me wrong, I'd love a multi-region game. But I just thought about it... we've got 5 regions already, and travelling through one alone is enough to get your entire Pokemon party up to level 60 and beyond.

In G/S, the switch to Kanto saw all the trainers having level 60 to start, and it just got higher. With two regions, it's probably do-able.

But if you had a third region... you'd probably be up to level 100. And unless if everybody else is level 100, it could get kinda boring.

Although, if they were to do this, perhaps have insanely difficult trainers with EV trained level 100 Pokemon to keep players on their toes and really crapping their pants. Plus, we'd all finally have a chance to go to each region and catch Pokemon from each generation in one, up-to-date game, rather than having to resort to Fire Red and Leaf Green just to get some Bulbasaurs or something (I think that would be the only way to get them, or HG/SS if I remember correctly and you get to choose a starter from there too).

However, releasing one big Pokemon-a-thon would be a really huge game, you probably wouldn't be expecting much else from them once it had been churned out. Just looking at where we are now, it's hard to imagine there could be another 100 or so in the future, which is making me think this could be the next step to take if they were to stop adding (though once they do that, Pokemon's practically finished as we know it).

Anyhoos, thoughts on this kind of game and whether or not it could work? Post 'em here.

To be honest, it'd get kind of boring even with everyone at level 100. What real feeling of advancement is left when your whole team is level 100, all opponents are about as tough as each other and when the next three regions give you no real opportunity to level up weaker Pokemon?

Even opponent Pokemon with good EV and IV values wouldn't help, the AI in Pokemon kind of sucks. Really, even perfect teams wouldn't be much of a threat with an AI which is basically a random number generator, and a truly intelligent AI that's needed would be impossible to program.

Not to mention, it'd just drag on and on (it'd basically be like living in the anime series!) and by the end any sane player would just have no excitement for the last region or two when they get to it.

It also kind of ups the amount of content people would expect in every game. Not good for Game Freak if every single game has to let you explore every single region, it'd end up getting ridiculous and taking years to make a single game.

What if Regions were like stages? Basically, you could travel back and forth between regions as with GSC, and unlock the next one after you have beaten the one before. Kanto -> Jhoto -> Hoenn, etc. However, your boxes in each region are seprate. Sure Jhoto and Kanto both had Bill, but all other regions have had their own box controller. Anyhow, because of this, you aren't able to use your Pokemon from the previous region until you've beaten the Elite 4. This way, the game would take a long while to beat, could become progressively harder, and also reward you with a rather large set of Pokemon.

What if Regions were like stages? Basically, you could travel back and forth between regions as with GSC, and unlock the next one after you have beaten the one before. Kanto -> Jhoto -> Hoenn, etc. However, your boxes in each region are seprate. Sure Jhoto and Kanto both had Bill, but all other regions have had their own box controller. Anyhow, because of this, you aren't able to use your Pokemon from the previous region until you've beaten the Elite 4. This way, the game would take a long while to beat, could become progressively harder, and also reward you with a rather large set of Pokemon.

I think this is the best way they could approach it. It'd pretty be all the regions in one game, but to make it more like one game rather than separate, all they'd have to do is just add in the recurring characters such as rivals, professors, etc. and more.

I just wish everything would go back to the way they use to be. for $1 i could get two bags of chips, a pastry, & a drink, & there were only 151 Pokemon.
crying.gif

What if like everytime before you started a new region it was kinda like the anime and you had to start fresh? You could take one pokemon with you and in that region they would be lowered back down to like level five but you could still go back to the other region. ex: you finish kanto and are moving on to johto so you take a charizard that is level 60 in johto it would start at level five and lose its moves so you would have to start again. but you could still go back to kanto and you pokemon would be back at level 60?

What if like everytime before you started a new region it was kinda like the anime and you had to start fresh? You could take one pokemon with you and in that region they would be lowered back down to like level five but you could still go back to the other region. ex: you finish kanto and are moving on to johto so you take a charizard that is level 60 in johto it would start at level five and lose its moves so you would have to start again. but you could still go back to kanto and you pokemon would be back at level 60?

That's pretty much what the others just said, and that was a long time ago. While we appreciate the enthusiasm, please refrain from bumping old topics without good reason.

Well, since Spoony didn't lock this, I'm assuming we can keep discussing, so..
Personally, a much better solution would be just porting all the older games to newer handhelds.

I kinda agree with Moclon, now days if a NEW Pokemon player wants to catch'em all he needs the older games and the older systems, with the older cables start playing them and go thru the hassle of transfering from game to game to game to game........ By the time the player reaches Unova there would already be two newer games.
Mellow.png
Just port all the games to the VC/Remake and include the option of transfering pokemons via save file or any virtual cables for the VC games.

I kinda agree with Moclon, now days if a NEW Pokemon player wants to catch'em all he needs the older games and the older systems, with the older cables start playing them and go thru the hassle of transfering from game to game to game to game........ By the time the player reaches Unova there would already be two newer games.
Mellow.png
Just port all the games to the VC/Remake and include the option of transfering pokemons via save file or any virtual cables for the VC games.

If a new player wants to catch'em all, all he needs is HGSS and BW. No older systems or cables required.

Mellow.png

If a new player wants to catch'em all, all he needs is HGSS and BW. No older systems or cables required.
Can you elaborate on how is this possible? Also what about the legendaries?

With the exception of the Regis (and event specific Pokemon like Mew and Celebi which you have to have gotten at certain times), you can get all Pokemon through 4th gen in HGSS. I know because I completed the Pokedex in HG when I had not played Pokemon in almost ten years. BW introduced new Pokemon, so you would need a copy of that to have them all.

My thought of a way to get this to work would be some sort of storyline where the other regions were scared to integrate the pokemon of other regions into their own region. This way you can start anywhere, beat the region, and then a professor from another region comes to you and explains his dream of region integration or something like that, he gives you the starter for that region and you go on that journey. My only concern is that the story could get boring with 6+ regions in it. But either way I believe the best way to go about this is definitely by making each region its own story and only allowing you transfer between regions that you have beaten.

My thought of a way to get this to work would be some sort of storyline where the other regions were scared to integrate the pokemon of other regions into their own region. This way you can start anywhere, beat the region, and then a professor from another region comes to you and explains his dream of region integration or something like that, he gives you the starter for that region and you go on that journey. My only concern is that the story could get boring with 6+ regions in it. But either way I believe the best way to go about this is definitely by making each region its own story and only allowing you transfer between regions that you have beaten.
This thread is 3 months old. Please refrain from bumping topics over a month old, if you really wanna discuss this you can make a new topic.

I just go lock this now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back