Why do you think computers with 3GB and 6GB of RAM are less popular?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
I think computers with 3GB and 6GB of RAM are less popular because buyers don't save money by buying a computer which has slightly less RAM. They also maybe paying slightly more money compared to a laptop with 2GB or 4GB of RAM.

The faster performance may not be very noticeable on computers which has an extra 1-2GB of RAM.

pretty sure Win10 requires 3GB of RAM to run or something like that, so most systems would be dead out of the box.

pretty sure Win10 requires 3GB of RAM to run or something like that, so most systems would be dead out of the box.

Then 32bit version of Windows 10 can run on 3GB of RAM in my experience. But, it lags when doing more intensive tasks like having many web browser windows open at the same time, or gaming.

Depends on the specs.
I would never recommend you to run Gnome 3 or KDE Plasma as your desktop environment (aka: GUI) on a pre-2008 PC for instance.
And if your PC is really old, you'll be better off not using a DE at all, and instead use a window manager like i3 or IceWM.

If a system have one 2GB and one 1GB stick, there will be a performance impact compared to having 2 x 1GB or 2 x 2GB sticks of RAM.

If a system have one 2GB and one 1GB stick, there will be a performance impact compared to having 2 x 1GB or 2 x 2GB sticks of RAM.

I think some cheaper lowend computers which usually come with less RAM like 2GB uses cheaper motherboards which only support running RAM in single channel memory mode instead of dual channel mode, so there may not be a performance impact running two different size RAM like 2GB and 1GB on different slots.

Honestly, no idea. May be people like even number when it comes to RAM?
Well, I have never heard of laptops having an odd number for RAM capacity. That can be the reason too.

Back