Why does Smash Bros always call Redeads 'magical constructs'?

CM30

Gaming Latest Admin and Gaming Reinvented Owner
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Or something similar?

Because in all the games where these Zelda foes are enemies, they make a specific point of saying they're actually magic animated into humanoid forms. Is there a reason for that? Someone at Nintendo not like the concept of zombies very much?

Or something similar?

Because in all the games where these Zelda foes are enemies, they make a specific point of saying they're actually magic animated into humanoid forms.  Is there a reason for that?  Someone at Nintendo not like the concept of zombies very much?

To declare them as zombies would mean Nintendo admitting hyrulians were killed and then in death enslaved for Ganon to use as minions. It is too dark of a tone for them to wish to state with Nintendo's wish to make everything as peaceful as possible, therefor 'magical construct' is 'nicer'. Because, 'flesh golem' sounds evil. lol

Building off of what Vince said, when OoT came out, the future Hyrule Marketplace freaked people out because they thought that the Re-Dead were all that was left of the people who lived there…Nintendo didn't want that kind of image, so they assured everyone that they were alive and well, and that the Re-Dead were guarding the market to prevent them from returning instead of anything else.  Thus the "magical construct" idea.

I'd provide the source for that, but it's been ages since I've seen that, I just remember it...

Building off of what Vince said, when OoT came out, the future Hyrule Marketplace freaked people out because they thought that the Re-Dead were all that was left of the people who lived there…Nintendo didn't want that kind of image, so they assured everyone that they were alive and well, and that the Re-Dead were guarding the market to prevent them from returning instead of anything else. Thus the "magical construct" idea.

I'd provide the source for that, but it's been ages since I've seen that, I just remember it...

Or something similar?

Because in all the games where these Zelda foes are enemies, they make a specific point of saying they're actually magic animated into humanoid forms. Is there a reason for that? Someone at Nintendo not like the concept of zombies very much?

To declare them as zombies would mean Nintendo admitting hyrulians were killed and then in death enslaved for Ganon to use as minions. It is too dark of a tone for them to wish to state with Nintendo's wish to make everything as peaceful as possible, therefor 'magical construct' is 'nicer'. Because, 'flesh golem' sounds evil. lol

These are good points. But isn't it a bit... inconsistent in terms of how much 'undeath' can be in a Nintendo game?

Because the Stalfos are always implied as at least being humanoid before their deaths (via the Lost Woods, usually). The Dead Hand is pretty obviously meant to be undead.

And hey, Nintendo had no reservations about putting dead humans in other games. Like Luigi's Mansion:

Because hey, dead ghost children are fine, but not zombies?

Then again, given where they appear... maybe that's a good thing. I still remember the disturbing fact that you fought Redeads in that well in Kakariko Village, which implies one hell of a dark backstory. Or worse, the ones underneath the private cabana in the Wind Waker (owned by a schoolteacher).

Or something similar?

Because in all the games where these Zelda foes are enemies, they make a specific point of saying they're actually magic animated into humanoid forms.  Is there a reason for that?  Someone at Nintendo not like the concept of zombies very much?

You almost killed me at "flesh golem." xD

Anyway, whatever Nintendo wants to call them, I'll still see them as zombies. I mean what about the guard that dies in the alley in Hyrule Castle Town? I bet he became a redead.

You have some point there CM30 since Luigi's Mansion does have a ghost which in the description he died of gluttony. I guess gluttony less gruesome than cursed Hyrulians. The Zelda series just seems weird and full of creepiness. Oh and let's not forget the ghost Graveyard keeper and the cemeteries in the series. Like on the second NES title or OoT. It's a "Nintendo-logical" excuse.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, did anyone notice how Redeads don't jump on their enemies any more? They just lunge at them now, despite not having swords or anything.

Toned down for a T rating?

Also, did anyone notice how Redeads don't jump on their enemies any more?  They just lunge at them now, despite not having swords or anything.

Toned down for a T rating?

They still did in Ocarina of Time 3D. :p

Back