Why is Battle Royale so popular?

Dan The Man

Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Seriously. Why?

I want to go beyond that it's just a fun game mode that people like. I get that, but it's a bit of a phenomenon right now, it's massive. I'm just not sure how it went from a fun game mode, to like the new most popular thing ever.

On paper (in my opinion), it has no right to be this popular. I mean you have only one life, you can spend 10+ minutes not doing much, die, you basically wasted your time, and have to dive in yet again, even if you get 1st, I don't see much incentive to try to get 1st again. If BR was not introduced yet, and I was handed a sheet listing what BR would be and have to guess if it would hit with people, my guess would be no.

So I really wonder, why is this so popular and why do many people seem to like it? What's the secret sauce?

Isn't it just a huge match where chaos explodes everywhere?

My main incentive in Fortnite was completing the battle pass and unlocking the John Wick skin xD I'm the achiever kind of gamer (from the 4 default types). As long as I have a goal to work towards, I'll enjoy the game, even if I'm not really playing it "as intended". Sure I like winning matches, but its not as important as completing the quest objectives.

I tried others, like Realm Royale, and while they were enjoyable, it just wasn't the same. There was no incentive to keep playing.

Back