Gaming Reinvented - Why the Firewatch Devs Takedown of PewDiePie’s Videos Should Terrify Journalists and Creators

Gaming Reinvented Why the Firewatch Devs Takedown of PewDiePie’s Videos Should Terrify Journalists and Creators

Discussion in 'Gaming News & Trailers' started by GR News, Sep 15, 2017.

1. GR News

GR News Feed Poster

Money:
    $2,970
  2. SuwakoMoriya

SuwakoMoriya Well-Known Member Full GL Member

Male
    Money:
    $2,585
    Quite ironic how that guy took down that video on 11 September 2017, making it seem more like a digital 9/11 attack.

3. Dark Young Link

Dark Young Link Well-Known Member Full GL Member

Male
    Money:
    $3,924
    I was kind of with Pewdiepie when he made the racist jokes because I knew he was joking and everyone needs to lighten up, even though at the same time he deserved all the backlash because people who don't know you are going to take it personally. However, I can't back him up on what he said, "heat of the moment" or not.

However, that's a silly solution for the problem. I can see this personal grudge thing being a problem in the future.

4. Demon_Skeith

Demon_Skeith Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Top Poster Of Month

It terrifies me that one person is causing this much backlash and isn't a high level Hollywood celebrity.

5. Dark Young Link

Male
    Money:
    $3,924
    It's bad enough Youtubers aren't taken seriously as celebrities, but this only makes it worse. In normal situations, one person doesn't speak for everyone, but Pewdiepie is the #1 most subscribed person on Youtube, unless that's changed, and because of that, it makes all Youtubers look bad in the eyes of people who don't understand internet fame. I don't want to put all the blame on one person, but right now Pewdiepie is ruining it for everyone. Soon internet fame is going to be synonymous with antisemitics and racism.

6. Demon_Skeith

Demon_Skeith Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Top Poster Of Month

That's right, he is the top dog. I wonder if Pewdipie even realizes that?

7. DarkKirby14

DarkKirby14 Well-Known Member Full GL Member

Male
    Money:
    $1,153
    not to make excuses for him, but I've heard people say worse than what Pewds said from my past experiences in online gaming

8. SuwakoMoriya

Male
    Money:
    $2,585
    Popular Let's Players in general swear in their videos.
    Of course I can't speak for everyone, but it's what I tend to see each time I see a Let's Play video in English (apparently not an issue in Japanese apart from a very occasional use of words like "クソ" or "バカ").

Never really bothered watching any Let's Play videos in my native languages, but I can expect Dutch videos to be filled with swear words and curses even harder than English videos (since swearing and cursing on TV, radio, newspapers, etc. is perfectly OK over here), and Polish would be limited to just "kurwa" from drunkards, and no swear words at all from all the others.

9. Dark Young Link

Male
    Money:
    $3,924
    Yeah, but it's not a matter of using just swear words in videos. You hear swear words almost everywhere in movies and on tv. However, Pewdiepie used a racial slur that use to demean a whole group of people one point in time. It's different than just saying damn, the f word, or even the c word that really no one should use.

10. SuwakoMoriya

Male
    Money:
    $2,585
    To be honest, I never really watch PewDiePie videos, I only hear about him from other folks online occasionally (I don't even know what his video style is really).
    I did understand it was something racist that got him a copyright strike (not that racist remarks are copyrighted materials to a specific company, but whatevs), but nobody quoted exactly about what part got the company triggered.

And I also understand that the whole "what is racism and what is not" matter is way broader (and apparently also has more meanings) in North America (where the game devs are) than it is here in Europe (where PDP is).
    It really differs per country, racism in some countries is considered terrible (most of the north and the west), in some it's considered hate speech (mainly in German speaking areas), and in some it's A-OK (mainly in the east and perbs in France).

Sometimes we make jokes based on nationalities, it's widely appreciated among Europeans, but might be considered offending to the Muslim and Jewish citizens, as well as to citizens that originate from one of our former colonies.