Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
"Other companies might launch a next-generation console with more power, but we don’t necessarily think that the difference between the Wii U and such console will be as drastic as what you felt it was between the Wii and the other consoles because there will be fewer and fewer differentiators in graphics," Iwata said. "Naturally some consumers are very sensitive about such a small difference in graphics so that we will make efforts to make the most of the performance of the Wii U to keep up with technological innovations and not to make the system out-of-date soon."

One issue confronting Nintendo was that its latest product consisted of two distinct components, the GamePad controller and the Wii U console itself, each of which could easily be regarded as its own games system - if development were left unchecked. "If we were not careful about how luxurious both of them were, we could end up having to offer the price of the two hardware systems combined," Iwata said, noting that finding an appropriate next-gen price point was extremely important. Attempting to max out Wii U hardware to the point where it effectively would offer two distinct systems was simply unacceptable to the publisher. "We had to design it by balancing the performance and the costs."

Iwata noted that Wii has struggled for "about the last two years." During that time, third parties have skewed heavily in favor of the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC platforms. That trend, combined with Nintendo's need to invest heavily in Wii U and 3DS development, meant that Wii was left to its existing library, finding new consumers through discounts and special bundles.

more here

As long as the Nextbox and the PS4 are like $350, then there is a fair competition, otherwise Wii U will have like a year to two year head start, plus a price drop by the time of the PS4's and Nextbox's releases.

I'm fully expecting the hardware from both the PS4 and Xbox 720 (unclear names?) to be superior to the wii u in every way.

But I also am expecting the Wii U to have a much bigger game library and cheaper price than those 2.

So yea, should be a good competition.

I'm fully expecting the hardware from both the PS4 and Xbox 720 (unclear names?) to be superior to the wii u in every way.

But I also am expecting the Wii U to have a much bigger game library and cheaper price than those 2.

So yea, should be a good competition.

In EVERY way? I'm sure Wii-U will still utilize the touch screen controller better.

Well, the controller is a piece of the hardware, but for all we know Sony and MS can do the same. lol

Well,the controller is a piece ofthe hardware, but for all we know Sony and MS can do the same. lol

yea I'm aware its a piece of hardware, its just that I only see it as a gimmick to draw in the audince of today who love the tourchscreen craze now.

I hardly see it as a piece of hardware that all around makes the system better or make the system what it is.

Well, the Wii U wouldn't be the Wii U without it's controller. It would just be a WiiHD if it didn't have anything new to offer.

Well, the Wii U wouldn't be the Wii U without it's controller. It would just be a WiiHD if it didn't have anything new to offer.

Well sure the touchescreen is essential to what the Wii U is advertised as today, but I don't think it was "needed".

Sure its a nice ability to have that brings something new to the table, but I think that a Wii HD would be just as good.

After all, one of the main things that held the Wii back from being able to compete with the PS3 and Xbox 360 (hardware wise) was its complete lack of HD which really did limit its games and make it to where 3rd party developers could not release a game on all 3 consoles without having to completely rework the wii version and change it to something different.

Adding just HD wouldn't help it sell. The reason why the original Wii did so well was because of the motion controls. If it didn't have that, it would be a GameCube, so it is needed.

Adding just HD wouldn't help it sell. The reason why the original Wii did so well was because of the motion controls. If it didn't have that, it would be a GameCube, so it is needed.

Well it could have had a different name than simply "Wii HD".

But this is all a matter of opinion really, you see it as needed for Nintendo to suceed while I see it as only a gimmick that nintendo threw in to attract a larger audience.

Nintendo would still be highly successful without it given their popular games, well known reputation, and numerous deals with 3rd party developers.

But of course, this is all just my opinion on the matter.

But lets just agree to disagree and move on since it obvious neither of us are going to change our stance on this issue.

Well it could have had a different name than simply "Wii HD".

But this is all a matter of opinion really, you see it as needed for Nintendo to suceed while I see it as only a gimmick that nintendo threw in to attract a larger audience.

Nintendo would still be highly successful without it given their popular games, well known reputation, and numerous deals with 3rd party developers.

But of course, this is all just my opinion on the matter.

But lets just agree to disagree and move on since it obvious neither of us are going to change our stance on this issue.

Even if they named it differently, if it didn't have the touch screen controller, it wouldn't have brought in all the hype and followers for the system that the Wii-U have now. Just wii with hd feature can't compete with next-gen.

Even if they named it differently, if it didn't have the touch screen controller, it wouldn't have brought in all the hype and followers for the system that the Wii-U have now. Just wii with hd feature can't compete with next-gen.

As I told Graceful earlier, all a matter of opinion at this point, no need beating this subject to death when it all boils down to what our personal beliefs regarding "would the Wii U still succeed without tourchescreen?"

I think it still could, you and Graceful obviously think otherwise, lets agree to disagree and move on.

As far as I'm concerned adding HD now allows Nintendo to stand where Sony and MS are at. Nothing has really expanded beyond HD yet so now matched with HD and having a very special controller it could gain Wii U a lot of followers.

In the end though it depends on what games it gets. Zombie U and Mario is a good start but they need more.

No, there is better than just HD. There are better forms of HD. ;) Check out some of the new GPU's on PC's. Those things are INSANE.

lol I was looking into a GTX GeForce 680 Overclocked, but good god are those things expensive.

Back