froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
Wikipedia, the online user-generated encyclopedia, has been blocked by the Turkish government.

News of the blockage was first reported by the website Turkey Blocks, at around 1AM Eastern this morning.

Read More

This is disappointing for Turkish people who want to quickly find information on topics like Science, and almost every topic which is somewhat popular. Turkish people probably now need to look for smaller websites like blogs and forums with similar information which they were reading on Wikipedia.

I think big websites like Wikipedia being banned shows that smaller websites like most Blogs, Forums, and websites which are created by one person or a few people are still very important.

Countries and companies like Internet providers, and search engines can ban one big website like Wikipedia, but it is harder to ban all small websites because there are billions of small websites which can host similar information as Wikipedia. Wikipedia borrow information from smaller websites like celebrity news and fan websites, so without small websites there would be less information on Wikipedia.

It is not expensive or hard to buy another domain name, and web hosting to restart your website if it gets block by many countries, search engines, and social networks.

I guess that what happens when someplace becomes too full of info.

I guess that what happens when someplace becomes too full of info.

Wikipedia is also very popular which maybe another reason for it to be banned compared to Wikipedia having a lot of info.

I think Wikipedia maybe banned even if it contains less information. There is only a small percentage of wiki pages on Wikipedia which talked badly about Turkey's government, but Wikipedia is very popular. There are also some kinky images, videos, and text on different wiki pages Wikipedia which maybe illegal in Turkey since Turkey is a more strict country where people may not be allowed to view kinky stuff online.

I think the president/prime minister wants to turn it into a muslim state which is probably why. I think it is going to be a more strict country regarding kinky stuff like said above which is why Wikipedia probably got blocked. Don't be surprised if adult content sites like blocked soon as well.

I think the president/prime minister wants to turn it into a muslim state which is probably why. I think it is going to be a more strict country regarding kinky stuff like said above which is why Wikipedia probably got blocked. Don't be surprised if adult content sites like blocked soon as well.

I think Turkey is now a strict country, but the president may want to make Turkey follow the more strict ways of life.

I think Turkey's president most likely does not agree with Wikipedia's owner, staff's, and most users' personal opinions about supporting free speech, and the freedom of the press. I got a feeling most websites like social networks may also be banned if Turkey continues being very strict where people can freely post, and read information which the government finds offensives to their views.

Back