Will many people own SSD/Solid State drive which is more reliable than their old hard drives?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
I don't know if many people will own SSD/Solid state storage drives which is more reliable than their old hard drives which may still work after many years of regular use. A lot of people buy new computers every few years because their computer no longer is fast enough to run more CPU and RAM intensive software like video and photo editors, or a newer game like Grand Theft Auto V, so fewer people may experience hard drive failure before they need to buy a new PC with a faster CPU, video card, and more RAM.

I owned many hard drives which are over 10 years old, and they all still work when I last use them. I mostly use hard drives for installing Windows on to, using web browsers, playing games, and using video players and storing files.

I think there are cheaply made SSDs from cheaper SSD makers which release cheaply made SSD, so they can sell them at lower prices. These cheap SSD may not last very long because they are cheaply made, and things like the storage chips, electrical circuit board, resisters, capacitors, etc may not last long.

But, I think there are only a few hard drive brands like Seagate and Western Digital which still make hard drives. The hard drive brands which still exist maybe higher quality than hard drive makers which no longer exist, so it is harder to find a new hard drive made in 2019 by a low quality brand.

SSD also have a limited number of data write cycles before they are not usable. SSD may more likely to fail from hot temperatures than a mechanical hard drive which can usually run for many years in a hot desktop gaming PC or server.

Last edited:
I think the less tech savvy people will only move onto SSD’s when it comes standard in basically every computer.

HDD’s have their place, particularly in an enterprise environment like a file server. I work on my workplace’s file server, and we service like... 2000 people, so file server with HDD’s serves us better in the long term due to the limited write cycles on an SSD. For an enterprise environment, reliability is more important than speed.

I think the less tech savvy people will only move onto SSD’s when it comes standard in basically every computer.

HDD’s have their place, particularly in an enterprise environment like a file server. I work on my workplace’s file server, and we service like... 2000 people, so file server with HDD’s serves us better in the long term due to the limited write cycles on an SSD. For an enterprise environment, reliability is more important than speed.
Like there are enterprise grade hard drive, there are enterprise grade SSD as well, but they cost the earth thought.

I promise you the only HDDs in my home are for external reasons, and game consoles. All my PCs are SSD though my next gen consoles (if able) will be SSD only. I enjoy the snappiness of a SSD.

When I do have to sell a PC, I let people who want speed know they want SSD, as they still think RAM gives the speed.

I promise you the only HDDs in my home are for external reasons, and game consoles. All my PCs are SSD though my next gen consoles (if able) will be SSD only. I enjoy the snappiness of a SSD.

When I do have to sell a PC, I let people who want speed know they want SSD, as they still think RAM gives the speed.
I got both internal hard drive and SSD. My SSD is is and main programs while hard drive is for games since they won't fit on SSD.

External are all hard drive as they are for data and that's it.

I notice more $100-250 cheap laptops are now using 32GB SSD and flash memory which is similar to SD card memory cards. I think a lot of these laptops will be replaced before the SSD breaks. These cheap laptops may get donated to charities or sold to people who can't afford a new computer. I think a lot of these laptops may get recycled when parts like the power adapter, screen, and keyboard breaks, and cost too much to repair at a store like Bestbuy or Staples. The SSD in these cheap laptops may still work, and outlast the whole laptop, so durability of SSD maybe less of a problem for people who replace their cheap laptop because a part like the power adapter or screen break.

Most probably that would be the case.
Unless the SSD remains expensive. Then, I don't think many people would opt for it

My hubby has talked about getting a new hard drive for the computer and says he wants a solid state drive. I forget why he says that one is better than the old one but he told me once upon a time.

I read an SSD reliability article from Feb. 2016 on SSD reliability in the real world: Google's experience | ZDNet that Google's SSD drives installed on servers had 30-80 percent SSD break by having a bad storage block at 4 years, and 2 to 7% of SSD had atleast one bad SSD chip on the drive.

I think I mostly keep using hard drives because they are more affordable, and I have many hard drives which are over 10 years old, and still work when I use them everyday.

do you really need an external? I mean unless you plan on running programs it doesn't make sense to have an external ssd.
While I don't run programs off then today, one day I may decide to put my Lightroom catalogue on it and explore the possibility of running some programs on it.

Also backup and restore of system image would be quicker too.

Back