Will more people wear protective clothing to protect themselves from Electrical weapons like tasers?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling

It is possible that more people will wear electric protective clothing to protect themselves from being electrocuted/tased with a taser or stun gun which a criminal uses to commit a crime like assaults and robbery.

Electrical weapons are not very hard to make, so criminals can make their own tasers and stun guns with electronic parts like batteries, capacitors, wires, switches and other parts, so a lot of criminals who plan on using a taser may make their own tasers if they can't easily buy one.

I rather have bullet proof clothing.

I rather have bullet proof clothing.

I would rather have bulletproof clothing as well.

It would be a nice if bullet proof clothing has a protective rubber material to protect the bullet proof vest user from electrical shock weapon attacks like tasers and home made electric weapons like an electrical power cord with an expose metal connectors at the end which is connected to a car battery or their home's power plug.

Well, hopefully not.
Sometimes, they are needed for people who are weak to protect themselves.

I live in a relatively low crime area so no need for bulletproof or taser proof protection. Altho the taser proof clothing thing is pretty cool.

I would imagine a few people might try this out but it won't be a wide place thing that people start doing. Unless you're a criminal, I'm not sure tasers should even be a worry for you really.

If the taser proof clothing coating or material like rubber is affordable, and make their clothing more durable and fire resistant, I feel some people will pay an extra 50 US dollars or more to taser proof their clothing.

There is always a chance of being electrocuted by non-taser electric shocks from broken electrical power cord, home wiring, charger, defective smartphone or tablet, so taser proof clothing can be useful for protection from electric shocks from defective electronics and power cords.

If the taser proof clothing coating or material like rubber is affordable, and make their clothing more durable and fire resistant, I feel some people will pay an extra 50 US dollars or more to taser proof their clothing.

There is always a chance of being electrocuted by non-taser electric shocks from broken electrical power cord, home wiring, charger, defective smartphone or tablet, so taser proof clothing can be useful for protection from electric shocks from defective electronics and power cords.
Yes true!

There are video online which claim electronics like computers, power lines, electric and hybrid can cause health problems because of Electric magnetic field radiation generated by electric cars.

If a Taserproof clothing can protect people from tasers, and EMF radiation, It maybe a good idea for people may wear taserproof clothing, and also protect them from EMF radiation.

This is a bit extreme. Can't believe we people would have to do this just because of the day and age we live in now. Would definitely love a bulletproof suit!

A cool idea I guess, but I don't really see that big of a demand for it outside maybe law enforcement. But even then, bullet resistant vests will defeat a taser or stungun pretty effectively on their own. (The barbs of a taser don't have enough punch/force to get through a level 3A kevlar plate, which is what many police are issued.)

Directed energy weapons (ex- tasers and stunguns) are not that effective to start with. In police usage they found them to be approx 50% effective at best. So I don't think the average person has much to worry about them. Criminals, though they could possibly use them, likely won't bother because they aren't that effective.

Truth is that a stungun is not effective. (Tasers are slightly more effective, but they're also usually restricted to law enforcement. And they're a lot harder to make than a stungun. Hard enough that it's not likely worth the effort when other, more effective, tools exist.) It has to contact the skin in order to deliver the charge. Which, first and foremost, means you have to be within striking range. (If you're close enough to deploy a stungun, they're close enough to punch you.)
Even things like a normal coat can be enough to defeat it. Sure it can still be a deterrent (the sound they make when going off gives everyone around a good idea not to mess with you) but they aren't perfect.
But even supposing you do get it off and the current does hit them... that still doesn't guarantee anything. Some people can fight through the pain. (There have been cases where people have been hit with multiple tasers, each delivering 50,000 volts, and still kept going.) Other times if the current does stop them it only lasts as long as the arc touches them. Once the current is gone they're back in the fight.

So, as a result, criminals still will generally just use a gun. The gun is usually just as easy to conceal and has a far higher chance of working. Plus they're way more readily available (especially in the USA). Ammo for a gun is also much cheaper and easier to come across. (I don't know how much the cartridges for tasers are exactly, but I doubt they could get them as cheaply as a box of 50 jacketed hollow point rounds.)

Also, I think it's worth mentioning that unless you either live in a high crime area or are a criminal yourself the chances of getting attacked are pretty low and have been decreasing since the 1970's. (Not that the media will tell you that part... they very much like to play up how unsafe everything is because it generates clicks/ad revenue for them.) So buying special electrical resistant clothes for fear of a directed energy weapon attack is a waste of money over the extremely tiny percent chance it'll happen.

If you're that worried about being attacked then look into your local laws and see what you're allowed to do to protect yourself. If you can legally acquire a firearm then do so. Train how to use it with some cheap ammo. Buy good quality ammo (stuff that police might use aka Duty ammo) and practice with that a bit. (This is because duty ammo and ammo just for shooting at targets can sometimes pattern differently. Duty ammo may be a bit higher on the target due to an increased powder charge over a target load.)
Then carry your gun on you.
That will be a FAR more effective measure to stop/survive an attack than relying on a piece of clothing. Sometimes having a good offense is the best defense. But even before that... keep you head up/pay attention to your surroundings and you'll be much better off.

Back