Will Most TVs and other electronics come with remote controls with buttons in the futur?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
I think it is possible that someday most TVs and other electronics won't come bundle with remote controls, so TV companies can save a few dollars, and sell their TV for slightly less money at a store by not including the remote like PC monitors which don't have remotes. The more expensive tvs and electronics will most likely still come with a remote.

The TV remote which come with a TV is less useful these days because many people use a cable box which uses its own remote, or a smartphone app to control a cable box.

Most people own keyboards, PCs/laptop, smartphones, and tablets, so it is possible to use a device like a smartphone as a remote.

Remote control Companies like Philips, RCA, Sony, Logitech, etc already sell universal remote which can control most brands of TV, CD/DVD/Blu-ray player, Stereo, and other devices after you setup the remote to work with your electronics.

A lot of smart tvs and PCs have microphones which has voice commands for controlling a TV or smart speaker system like Alexa Echo. Some smart tvs also have motion controls for using hand gestures for controlling a TV.

Well if all people have a phone, they could use an app but I think it be poor taste to not include a remote. Or even worse, sell it as an addon.

Well if all people have a phone, they could use an app but I think it be poor taste to not include a remote. Or even worse, sell it as an addon.

Including a very basic remote with only a few buttons like power, channel up and down can be in very bad taste as well, and force buyers to pay buy a nicer remote if they want to use all the buttons like number buttons, video input selector, and other features which come with their TV or electronic device.

I just know they will go with the sell addon route with a app excuse to still keep it somewhat free.

I think some greedy electronics rental companies may someday rent remote controls as a $1 per month rental which people can rent from a electronics rental store.

A lot of people are already renting cable boxes, cable modems/routers, laptops, cars, and furniture, so these people maybe willing to pay $1 a month for a remote control rental instead of using a free remote control app or universal remote control.

There are many devices which are using touch screen now.
Slowly all the buttons would eventually disappear.That's what I believe anyway.

It does seem that more touchscreen devices like smartphones and tablets are being sold compared to devices with a remote with buttons and keyboards.

Back