Will the Windows 10 Installer size be under 4 GB in size in the future?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
I think the Windows 10 installer size will still be under 4GB of size in the near future, so it can fit on 4GB USB flash drive, and DVD-R single layer disc which only have 4.4GB of storage space.

A lot of people still use dial-up and other slower internet connection, so downloading a large Windows 10 installer file can be very slow on a slower internet connection.

Well if Microsoft changes the way they package their installer (they have for a good while now) the installer can still be smaller. Bear in mind though, the installer that has both 32 and x64 editions of Windows 10 is about 6.42 GB so it will fit on an 8GB USB and a dual-layer DVD.

I feel in the near future, there would still be versions of Windows 10 which are smaller than 4GB . There is Windows 10 IoT/Internet of Things for Rapberry Pi mini PC. Windows 10 IoT for Raspberry Pi which is only 651.8 MB according to Download Windows 10 IoT Core for Raspberry Pi 2 / 3 from Official Microsoft Download Center .

There is also a possibility of Windows making future versions of Windows 10 installer smaller in size by removing bundled programs like Windows Defender, WordPad, MS Paint, Bing, etc because more users rather use 3rd-party software like Avast Antivirus, LibreOffice, InkScape, and Gimp, and make it possible to use a 4GB or smaller size USB flash drive to install Windows 10 on computers with 32GB or less storage space.

would be nice for the installer, though it may require internet to do so.

would be nice for the installer, though it may require internet to do so.

I feel someday Windows could become an online operating system like Chrome OS where most programs are stored on a Google's web server or are websites like Gmail, Google Docs, Google Drive, etc.

But, I feel users would get mad if Windows and bundled Windows programs like Notepad, MS Paint, Games, etc won't work if there is an internet outage or slow internet problems.

Probably not.
With each upgrade the size keeps increasing....and I highly doubt they are gonna keep a limit to it.

There is a possibility that users have to pay to download optional Windows software like Windows Media Player and Windows Defender, so Microsoft earns more money, and the download size is smaller in size sort of like free antivirus software where users need to pay money for extra features like a firewall, identity protection, and online file storage.

Back