froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
Microsoft has yet to make any official announcement regarding Windows 10 Cloud, but according to ZDNet’s sources, Cloud “is a simplifed version of Windows 10 that will be able to run only Unified Windows Platform (UWP) apps installed from the Windows Store.” In other words, a new form of Windows RT.

If the new OS is anything like Windows RT (or Windows 8.1 with Bing), PC makers will be able to get it for a fraction of the cost of any traditional Windows 10 edition, or possibly even for free.

Read More

I feel using the word like Cloud may make people not want to buy a computer with Windows 10 Cloud on it.

Most likely a lot of people will install Chrome, Firefox, and other web browsers onto these cheap Windows 10 Cloud computers.

One of the benefits of Chromebooks and most Android laptops is that it comes pre-installed with the Chrome web browser.

Yeah I'm not a fan of the cloud in that way. Specially when servers could go down or be hacked or you simply don't have internet.

I agree with Demon Skeith. That's why I stay away from Chromebooks. But if Microsoft does this, at least I hope they support Skype.

Yeah I'm not a fan of the cloud in that way. Specially when servers could go down or be hacked or you simply don't have internet.

I think Windows 10 Cloud operating system, network card driver, and software will still be installed on a storage drive, so Windows 10 Cloud won't rely on a server for using the internet, and most programs.

But, Windows 10 Cloud may limit you to only installing Windows Store Apps or Approved Windows programs which MS approve of. Windows 10 Cloud may not come pre-installed with Microsoft programs like Notepad, MS Paint, WordPad, Sound Recorder, etc to save storage space, so the operating system can fit on smaller 4-16GB storage drives like Linux, DOS, and other lightweight operating systems for PC

A server being hacked or going down may cause you not to be access things like your outlook.com e-mail, or Xbox Live account, but most likely not disconnect you from the internet.

I agree with Demon Skeith. That's why I stay away from Chromebooks. But if Microsoft does this, at least I hope they support Skype.

Chromebooks offline support has gotten better because of support for Google Android apps, and more Chrome Apps like Google Docs which has an offline mode for working and viewing your files when not connected to the internet.

It is possible to login to a Chromebook when offline. But, you can't use the internet until you connect to a internet connection which is online. Chromebooks now have better offline support because of Google adding support for Android apps on some Chromebooks, and more Chrome apps like Google Docs and Gmail having an offline mode, or add-on which let you use the app offline.

Many newer Chromebooks now support offline Google Android apps, so there are now more offline Android programs/apps and games available for Chromebook.

Google Doc's Office suite, Gmail, and other programs for Chromebooks can be used offline when not connected to the internet. But, you can't use the online features like downloading e-mail and document files when you are offline, so it is a good idea to save your documents and e-mails to a USB flash drive or to your Chromebooks storage chip before you go offline.

The Chrome video and music player, download manager, downloads folder, PDF reader, and other Chromebook apps can also be used offline. There are also some Chrome apps, and games which work offline if the maker of the app or game makes their Chrome app or game usable offline instead of just a shortcut web browser link to their website where their app or game is hosted.

Chrome Users can also save websites' HTML and website files like flash media files/.swf, pictures, and video files from the website to view offline, or use a web app made with HTML5, Flash, and JavaScript on the website when offline. There are also extensions like Pocket/Read it Later, video downloaders which makes it possible to easily save, and view content offline in Chrome.

There are Chromebooks with 64-128GB and external SD card support where users have enough storage pace to install a lot of Android apps, offline Chrome apps, and saving content and web apps to a Chromebooks internal storage.

Last edited:
What's the difference between Android apps and Chrome apps?

What's the difference between Android apps and Chrome apps?

Android Apps are made with programming languages like Java, C, C++. Android apps can also be made with web languages HTML5, HTML, JavaScript, CSS, etc. Android apps need Android to run.

There is also the Android Runtime in Chrome OS for some newer Chromebooks like the Asus Flip Chromebook which can now run Google Play Android apps with the Android Runtime. Blackberry 10 OS/BB10 also has a built-in Android runtime which makes it possible to run Android apps on BB10 with the Android Runtime.

Chrome Apps are made with web markup languages like HTML5, HTML, JavaScript, CSS, and other web markup languages designed for web browsers. There maybe a few Chrome Apps which need Adobe Flash player to run. Chrome Apps only run on the Desktop PC version of Chrome for Chrome OS, Windows, Mac, UNIX and Linux.

Back