froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
Microsoft may have used its Ignite conference to trumpet Windows 10 now running on 400 million devices, but the operating system's market share went backwards in September according to two of three traffic-watchers we track each month.

StatCounter Global Stats has Windows 10 at 24.42 per cent desktop OS market share for September, down just .01 per cent from its August share. Netmarketshare recorded a sharper dip, from August's 22.99 per cent to a September reading of 22.53 per cent.

Read More

I think one of the main reason that Windows 10 marketshare drop is that a lot of users are going back to school or work which mostly use Windows 7 computers, and their work laptop or PC at home maybe running Windows 7, so users can use programs which were mainly designed for Windows 7.

Some schools and colleges are also using Chromebooks, and Linux computers instead of Windows because of the cheaper price of Chromebooks, and Linux PCs. The increasing amount of Chromebook and Linux users are causing Windows 10 to lose market share.

A lot of professional and richer users are now using Apple computers which may cause Windows 10 market share to drop a little bit.

There are also some users who decided to rollback their computer to Windows 7 and 8.1 because Windows 10 may not be good enough for their needs, or they found out some software and hardware like a printer, scanner, video card, etc did not work in Windows 10.

Since the update that ruined compatability for older Windows programs (the one that reads all DLL files), many downgraded to Windows 7/8.

A lot of business, school, and government users may also not want to upgrade to Windows 10, or already downgraded to Windows 7 because they need to use ActiveX plug-ins for doing work while logged into their work or school website in Internet Explorer.

The newer version of Internet Explorer in Windows 10 called Edge does not work with ActiveX plug-ins which are still popular at offices, schools, and some government websites. Windows 10 does come with Internet Explorer 11, but many people would not know that IE 11 exist because it is hidden in the startmenu, and the settings of button of Edge.

Plus, some users may want to stick with Internet Explorer 10 in Windows 7 since it may run better on their aging PC. If they upgrade to Windows 8.1 or 10, they would be stuck with IE 11 or IE11 and Edge in Windows 10.

There may also be some people who are upset that Windows 10 come with two web browsers instead of just one web browser like in the past version of Windows. Having two web browsers may use up slightly more storage space than just one.

Last edited:
In my opinion, Windows should never become the most popular operating system. Ubuntu is such a nice operating system with WORKING functions (screw Windows family sharing permission spam) which turns your PC more safe and fast.

Windows is like a forum with to many plug-ins: broken, slow, to many compatibility issues, unfinished.

In my opinion, Windows should never become the most popular operating system. Ubuntu is such a nice operating system with WORKING functions (screw Windows family sharing permission spam) which turns your PC more safe and fast.

Windows is like a forum with to many plug-ins: broken, slow, to many compatibility issues, unfinished.

Linux Mint is also worth checking out for users who need an Applications menu like the Startmenu. Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu, so software and games which works in Ubuntu should work with Linux Mint.

I mainly dislike that Windows comes with so many programs which are impossible to easily uninstall like Internet Explorer, WordPad, System Utilities, and Backup software which I never use because there are better and free or paid alternatives.

one of these days I'll make ubuntu my main.

Back