froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
Microsoft announced today that Windows 10 is now running on over 400 million active devices. This is up from 300 million as of May, and 207 million as of end of the March. The company says that it deems devices that have been active in the past 28 days as "active." Microsoft added that this 400 million active devices figure include tablets and phones as well as Xbox One consoles, HoloLens, and Surface Hubs running Windows 10.

Read More

I wonder how many people use Windows 10 on desktop, tablet and laptop computers when you don't include Xbox One, Windows Phone, and other device users in the total user count for Windows 10.

I bet, a lot of new Windows 10 computers being sold are most likely cheaper laptops, desktops, and tablets which people bought for $199-299, or less. A lot of these cheaper computers are popular with college students and older high schoolers which need a affordable computer to run MS Word, Excel, Powerpoint, media players, but can't afford to spend a lot of money on a PC. But, they don't want to buy a older, used, or refurbished computer or laptop running Windows 8.1 or 7 because Used computers maybe unreliable, and have an older design which make them look old fashion, and uncool.

I feel MS should make a separate category for devices like Xbox One, Windows phones, hololens, and surface hubs because they are different type of devices compared to desktop, laptop, and tablets which are devices for creating content while Xbox One, Windows Phone, Hololens, and Surface hubs are for viewing content and communication.

Last edited:
Should reduce that by one, I nuked my last windows 10 laptop.

Should reduce that by one, I nuked my last windows 10 laptop.

Any reason in particular that Windows 10 did not work out for you?

I still feel Windows 7 is still a better operating system because it works with the more older software, games, and hardware like printers without the need to change settings and use tweaks/mods to make stuff work, or use older hardware drivers and software made for Windows 7 in Windows 10 which can cause problems sometimes.

Because the DS wanted to say that I nuked a 1,300 dollar win 10 gaming laptop :grin:

But I got the laptop, wanted windows 7 and installed it however the laptop would only run win10 efficiently.

Is there any reason that Windows 10 runs more efficiently on your laptop compared to using Windows 7?

I believe you posted something a few months ago saying latest laptops are being made for only windows 10, I'm guessing that is the reason.

I think the article I posted was newer Intel CPUs being only compatible with Windows 10, or having features which only work for Windows 10.

I have Windows 7 Ultimate on my desktop and Windows 8 on my laptop. I've not used Windows 10 and I don't intend to. I can tell you that I still prefer Windows 7 over Windows 8 any day and I wish I could change it on my laptop but I think I would be in the same boat as DS. I think that laptop was probably made to only run Windows 8.

My question is how many of those 400 million devices were upgraded through force. Either microsoft's deceptive upgrade change (where they rewrote what click the x button did, instead of saying "close" to make it "accept") and constant pestering or even simply installing it anyway.

My question is how many of those 400 million devices were upgraded through force. Either microsoft's deceptive upgrade change (where they rewrote what click the x button did, instead of saying "close" to make it "accept") and constant pestering or even simply installing it anyway.

Most likely, a large number of Windows 10 users were upgraded through force by Windows Update, and poor user interface design where the close button means accept, and using pop-up windows.

It also can be hard to rollback to Windows 8.1, and 7 for the less-technical Windows users, so some people probably just stuck with Windows 10 because they don't want to hire a PC technician to help them rollback to Windows 8.1 or 7 because hiring a PC tech can be expensive.

In August 2016, Microsoft also shorten the rollback to Windows 8.1 and 7 period from 30 days to 10 days to help "save storage space", so a lot of users can't rollback after 10 days, and were basically stuck with Windows 10 after their 10 days have pass.

Back