Awards
Credits
Nintendo $20 EShop
Nintendo $20 EShop
Mature Board Viewing
PSN Gift Card $20
PSN Gift Card $20
Read from tweaktown:

A new in-depth video by The PC Security Channel doesn't paint a flattering picture of the behind-the-scenes network traffic on Microsoft's latest OS.

Using Wireshark to check, and again this is a fresh install of Windows 11, we see an eye-opening amount of traffic. From Microsoft to Bing, Google, Steam, McAfee, and more - constant communication and geo-tracking without the user doing anything. Let alone giving permission outside of ticking boxes during the initial boot and setup phase. The most alarming examples involve sending data (DNS traffic) to market research firms and other companies we've never heard of with words like "trusted," "security," and "privacy" in their company profiles. One specific example, is ScorecardResearch.com, which "studies and reports on Internet trends and behavior."

It's a crazy amount of data for a brand-new PC, especially one that isn't even in the harvesting phase of capturing and storing personal data and information as it's entered. In fact, the video compares DNS traffic in Windows 11 to Windows XP - where on XP, you see a single bit of communication to a Windows update server versus the overwhelming data being sent to third parties on Windows 11.

So uh. What do I have to do to stop it or is it just inherent to the update and I am doomed for life?

People forgot Windows 10 was bad with this too, then 11 comes out and now it's new.

So uh. What do I have to do to stop it or is it just inherent to the update and I am doomed for life?

I am not using Windows 11 at the moment as my PC is not able to handle it with it having new hardware so I am instead still using Windows 10. I know that is filled with a lot of stuff as well and it does also send a lot of data to third parties so I don't believe it is anything new for Windows 11, it's just normal at this point for the operating system.

People forgot Windows 10 was bad with this too, then 11 comes out and now it's new.

The step by step on how to stop it works. I wish many people will apply it as well.

Back