Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
Hating the windows 10 update? Many do and as I have called it, they have been sued for it.

The Seattle Times reports one woman’s computer was messed up by the update, prompting her to sue Microsoft. Not only did she win, she got $10,000.

A few days after Microsoft released Windows 10 to the public last year, Teri Goldstein’s computer started trying to download and install the new operating system.

The update, which she says she didn’t authorize, failed. Instead, the computer she uses to run her Sausalito, Calif., travel-agency business slowed to a crawl. It would crash, she says, and be unusable for days at a time.

“I had never heard of Windows 10,” Goldstein said. “Nobody ever asked me if I wanted to update.”

When outreach to Microsoft’s customer support didn’t fix the issue, Goldstein took the software giant to court, seeking compensation for lost wages and the cost of a new computer.

I know that for them to force the Windows 10 update is not good. Nice to hear that she won the case. Maybe this will change how Microsoft forces the upgrade? Probably not though.

I wonder if she will use some of her $10,000 settlement on a Apple Mac, Google Chrome OS or Linux computer since it sounds like she no longer trust Microsoft at creating a good Operating System for work.

Wait, what? How did she win? It's their software. They are legally allowed to discontinue the support whenever they want.

Their forced upgrade ruined her business for sometime which is a big no no despite a user policy, not sure if I said it on this site or another but I Fing called it (so someone pick up that phone.)

And in other news, the update notification has undergone a change:

http://kotaku.com/microsoft-altering-its-shady-windows-10-forced-upgrade-1782740251

Last edited:
DS is right.

What happened was because Microsoft auto-updated (which didn't give her a choice to reject/deny the upgrade) and in the process was rendered unusable she lost money/business while she had to fix the problem. I'm surprised it took this long for it to happen. Especially given how many other times this has happened. From weather channels being in the midst of broadcast to streamers playing counterstrike to individual users just browsing the web.

My father's laptop got updated to Windows 10 and in the process it removed the start menu button he had installed and added a new glitch where it wouldn't hibernate properly. (You could set it to hibernate but when trying to resume you'd have to close the lid, wait 30 seconds then re-open it and press the power button. Attempting to just push the power button would lead to an empty black screen until you closed the lid and re-opened it then pushed the power button again.) He also complained that the system was just slower responding overall.
Luckily the issues went away when I reverted his system back to Windows 8.1. (Still had to install another start menu replacement though. Still, minor issues and he likes the new one better than that older one. )

Back