"worth it" to pay an extra $10-20 for unlimited bandwidth for Internet service?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
I think if you use the internet very much like you download a lot of games from Steam, PSN, Xbox Live, and stream a lot of HD video, the extra $10-20 a month can be worth it.

But, sometimes you can sign up for faster internet plans by paying an extra $10 which are not unlimited, but come with 400 GB or more bandwidth a month.

I don't watch a lot of online video, or download a lot of big files, so non-unlimited internet with a 150GB bandwidth is good enough for me most of the time.

The extra $10-20 a month adds up to $120-240 a year which is a lot of money for poor people who can barely afford internet.

I would need to know how much I spend on month on data usage and then times it by a possible worst usage rate. If the numbers don't come close to the limit, no need to pay extra.

I would say that it wasn't worth it, I am never in that serious need of a connection like that, unless I'm uploading something and even then, I do that late at night where the bandwidth is usually less restricted.

Besides, the speed could be artificially slowed down or throttled, so that the isp can force your hand in paying more.

If this proves to be successful, as well it should, then there wouldn't be anything to stop them from doing it again later on down the line.

I would need to know how much I spend on month on data usage and then times it by a possible worst usage rate. If the numbers don't come close to the limit, no need to pay extra.

I agree, it is best to know how much data you buy a month as part of your plan. It is also useful for what the cost of data overage fees are since sometimes its just $5 for an extra 50 or more GB of data which is cheaper than paying for unlimited bandwidth which sometimes cost $10-20.

I'm pretty sure ours is unlimited. We have 50 meg cable and I download tonnes of stuff.

Yeah it's like $20 more I think. We pay $78 a month now. But gigabit is basically 1000 meg. :) So that's quite an upgrade!

Back