Would pens, pencils, and paper exist for writing and drawing in the future?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
Yes, I think pencils, pens, paper, and other writing tools will exist since they are very convenient and cheap when you just need to use a pencil or pen to spell out your name, write down a phone number, or draw a picture of something.

Also, if you are famous, you can sign your own books, DVDs, and music CDs, and sell them on eBay, and Amazon for a few more dollars to your devoted fans who are willing to pay more for a signed copy of your art, book, music, and dvd movies.

Having a real autograph of someone famous like Bill Cosby, Jay Leno, Conan O' Brian, and Bob Barker is always better than a digital image of their autograph since in the future, the autograph on a paper, or item like a guitar would be worth more sentimental, and physical dollars if you latter decide to sell it on eBay to other fans.

Yes, why would they disappear?

I'm sure pen and paper will always be around, but their prevalence in first world countries may not be a great as it is now.

Think about all the people you know right now. Now think about how many of them prefer to hand write things over using a phone or computer. Are some of them older? Are some of them younger? I imagine some of the people you know who prefer analog methods are younger. See where I'm going with this? There will probably be people who will prefer the old/simplest way of doing things from now until the distant future. 

Nope... I don't think they will. It's already a method that is going out of style. Check this out, one day I was sitting in class and I got tired of copying what my teacher wrote on the board. So I walked up, pulled out my phone and snapped a picture. This started a trend, slowly but surely everyone was abandoning their pencils and pens. 

Another big majority of the people would use their tablet, ipad, or laptop. The rest wrote things down, and some had their personal reasons. I write music, and couldn't stop using my notebook for so long. It felt easier to use, because I could cross things out, see what my old idea was, etc. I found a better method with my music program though and most of my lyrics I just write in my phone's notepad. 

Think about it, when do you ever need a pencil, and paper anymore? It's more convenient to pull out your phone and jot something down. Even though there hasn't been an invention to completely eliminate pencils, I think it will come eventually. Drawing is another thing, but a lot of drawing is even going digital now. 

Jacotah said:
Nope... I don't think they will. It's already a method that is going out of style. Check this out, one day I was sitting in class and I got tired of copying what my teacher wrote on the board. So I walked up, pulled out my phone and snapped a picture. This started a trend, slowly but surely everyone was abandoning their pencils and pens. 

Another big majority of the people would use their tablet, ipad, or laptop. The rest wrote things down, and some had their personal reasons. I write music, and couldn't stop using my notebook for so long. It felt easier to use, because I could cross things out, see what my old idea was, etc. I found a better method with my music program though and most of my lyrics I just write in my phone's notepad. 

Think about it, when do you ever need a pencil, and paper anymore? It's more convenient to pull out your phone and jot something down. Even though there hasn't been an invention to completely eliminate pencils, I think it will come eventually. Drawing is another thing, but a lot of drawing is even going digital now. 
Batteries die, apps crash, and phones freeze.

Let's say that hypothetically, a car hits a pedestrian and then speeds off. You got the license plate number, vehicle make and model, and driver description. You need to record this info quickly.

By the time you get around those issues on your smartphone, some of the data you meant to record will be gone or compromised in some way.

Pen and paper will always be better than technology in that regard.

If kids today can easily get tired of writing notes in class, and have to rely on their phones then that just proves that the quality of humans is effectively in the toilet.

Don't get me wrong, I love technology, and love my devices, and even though I have gotten quite familiar with the S pen on my Note 2, and have modified my device, so that, when my pull out my S pen, a shortcut to create a new note in Papyrus is launched, I can't see it or any tech as a viable alternative for something as basic as pen and paper.

For me, a better use for my phone in that situation, would have been to record the teacher as I am taking notes. This way, I don't miss anything important while I am writing, and any questions I may have for the teacher and the answers to them would be recorded as well.

Everything has its strengths and weaknesses and that it why it is important to use technology as an aid to, and not as a replacement of basic tasks and knowledge.

For example, while it is good that GPS devices are readily available, most people would be a sitting duck if they were ever without them or their smart phones, and that is why it is always important to learn how to read a map and a compass. 

People who rely on technology too much usually find out the hard way, why the basics have always withstood the test of time..

I still see the police use notepads to write up tickets, question criminals, fill forms, and do other legal work since it is most likely easier, and there is less risk of data lost from a crash hard drive, or bad Flash drive.

Forms like Postal mail forms are printed out with a printer, but most people use a pencil to fill them out with at the Post Office.

A lot of people also say you remember things easily by writing it down with a pen and paper rather than typing it, or just photocopying other people's notes to read later.

Also, many big museum usually mostly display paintings and pictures which were created with paint, pencil, pen, and pastels.

Plus, I still feel using a Pen and Paper is better for privacy since I can keep private information written on paper in my wallet, or hidden pocket in my jacket, and it is less likely anyone can steal my private information on paper stored in my wallet than storing it online, on my computer's hard drive which can get hacked by a virus or hacker who steal my PC.

I can also easily shred, burn, or rip up paper into many little pieces, so it is harder to impossible to reveal my private information once I throw it out.

They would still be around for a very long while. Pens and paper are used for legal documentation and simply look more professional than just having an online document. And you won't always have access to a phone or other device constantly, but if you had a pen you could even just jot whatever you need anyhwhere even arms.

People still need pen and paper to get business done like cashing checks, writing checks, passing notes in class, college applications, job applications, signing documents, etc. Sure...you may lose your writing touch because we're typing so much these days but those are the breaks. I am not as proficient at cursive writing as I used to be because I type so much now.

Back