Would using an USB sound card make playing PC games run better and feel more realistic on a cheaper laptop?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
I think USB soundcard uses its own sound processor to process sound, so a PC game may run a few video frames faster on a cheaper laptop because the processor on the laptop does need to process sound data because the processor on the USB sound card help process the sound data.

I remember reading a sound card article online many years ago where installing a sound card on a desktop PC made the computer run games a few video frames per second faster.

Some sound cards also sound louder, and more realistic sound than the sound chip on cheaper laptops, so using a higher quality USB sound card can make games sound more realistic when hooked up to a pair of higher quality speakers.

Not sure if I've seen or heard a USB sound card.

I think the sound card hardware driver software and firmware is sometimes better with USB soundcards and expansion slot PCI/PCI-X soundcards, so there maybe fewer audio problems like crackling sound and slow/laggy audio, and Windows problems like bluescreen errors caused by poorly made onboard soundcard drivers which may get discontinued after a few years.

I read a few online posts from onboard sound users that their onboard audio drivers dont work in their newer version of Windows, or have audio problems like low volume, and unclear audio problems.

If your onboard sound is not working properly because of a sound driver problem, upgrading to a USB or PCI sound card can be the easiest way to fix sound in Windows caused by a bad onboard sound card driver.

I think the sound card hardware driver software and firmware is sometimes better with USB soundcards and expansion slot PCI/PCI-X soundcards, so there maybe fewer audio problems like crackling sound and slow/laggy audio, and Windows problems like bluescreen errors caused by poorly made onboard soundcard drivers which may get discontinued after a few years.

I read a few online posts from onboard sound users that their onboard audio drivers dont work in their newer version of Windows, or have audio problems like low volume, and unclear audio problems.

If your onboard sound is not working properly because of a sound driver problem, upgrading to a USB or PCI sound card can be the easiest way to fix sound in Windows caused by a bad onboard sound card driver.
I have read stories where some versions of drivers are better than others for the same hardware.

So its adding HD sound to your device then?

HD surround sound is one of the main reasons a lot of people buy a dedicated usb or pci sound card for their PC.

Soundcards also have audio ports like optical audio s/pdif or coax digital audio ports which make it possible to your PC to a home theater surround sound speaker system..

I have read stories where some versions of drivers are better than others for the same hardware.

I think some drivers versions are made by software programmers who have more experience making drivers, and test their drivers more before releasing the drivers. Sadly, I feel cheaper and less experience software programmers are sometimes hired more often to make driver software these days, so drivers may more iften cause performance and stability problems.

Back