Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Credits
Full year of Nintendo Online
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
The Writers Guild of America (WGA) last night authorized a strike. It has been negotiating with the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers (AMPTP) for better compensation and equity structures and, in mid-April, held a strike authorization vote that saw record numbers of unit members (97.85%) voting yes. The strike went into effect at 12:01 am Pacific Time on Tuesday, May 2 after negotiations failed.

The WGA represents nearly 12,000 writers working in show business; they write television, films, and other literary works, like scripted podcasts and streaming shows. In mid-April, SAG-AFTRA—the Screen Actors Guild—issued a statement of support for the WGA.

The WGA has focused on a “pattern of demands” to address these inequalities and difficulties. A pattern of demand is a set of demands that the union representatives will push for during negotiations, which have been voted on by the larger organization unit. According to the WGA site, these demands include increasing minimum compensation, expanding protections to cover all television writers, and increasing residuals for “under-compensated reuse markets.”

More generally, the WGA is asking for better professional standards and protections for writers who are employed within the industry. These include regulations for AI and dataset-trained technology, stronger regulation of options and exclusivity clauses in contracts for TV writers, and enacting measures to combat discrimination and harassment.

Ultimately the demands are an existential ask for writers—this strike stands in between writing for a living and writing turning into a gig economy. The ask from the writers would increase guild compensation by $500 million—a far lower sum than the billions that studios and streamers make every year.

Source

All our inexperience leads to more mistakes. I'm not happy with the way things are written now anyways. I do not want to support corporate media when the jokes are all one-sided. AI will replace a lot of, if not a mass majority of jobs in 5 years. Asking for more money is part of the problem. We all need to live, but the issue is there are job shortages everywhere since covid. Writing is just one skill. Just like music performing or just concert singing in general. I firmly believe anyone can do it and keeping to do the same job is an easy way out.

It'd be nice if writers actually wrote new stories not remakes & reboots like what has been going on so much lately. I'm for recycling but they don't have to recycle ideas all the time!

No I mean they are hired on to write the project. IE some big wig green lights a remake and they bring on writers to write it.
If they are hired then they are at the mercy of them then. If the project doesn't sell or the economy is tanking then making quick scripts with minor edits would save them a lot of money.

My hubby just told me about this a couple of days ago.

Didn't the writer's go on strike just a couple of years ago?

Hope no one is looking forward to new tv shows this fall, looks like the actors are going on strike now. Think I saw somewhere that Hollywood wants to bleed out on how long they can strike.

Oh well! I hope something changes soon and they change their minds on going on a strike.

Back