froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
Over the past few years, Microsoft’s mobile business has collapsed to the point of being all but dead. But the firm continues working on Windows 10 Mobile, despite a general dearth of devices that run it. Continuum, a feature that allows Windows 10 devices to connect to external displays and keyboards, essentially functioning like a PC, is still said to be key to any potential uptake of the operating system, but there’s been a major catch — Continuum hardware can’t run Win32 applications and is limited to UWP (Universal Windows Platform) apps.

According to Mary J. Foley, that could change by the fall of 2017 with the Redstone 3 update for Windows 10. The discovery was kicked off by this Tweet, from WalkingCat, who found evidence that Microsoft might be working on a hybrid x86-64-on-ARM implementation (Foley confirms that the technology’s codename is Cobalt).

Read More

x86 PC emulation might be good for users who need to use Windows x86 PC software like Adobe Photoshop, or a video editor on their phone where no Windows Store app exist for the task they need to do.

I wonder if they will really do it?

I wonder if they will really do it?

I think MS may add x86/PC emulation to Windows 10 for ARM/mobile CPUs if there are still enough Windows 10 users who use a ARM/mobile-chip to run Windows 10 in the fall of 2017 or later.

But, there is a chance that PC software emulation will never come to Windows 10 because there will be fewer users who use Windows 10 on a mobile ARM processor when more users switch to Android and iOS smartphones instead of a Windows Phone smartphone. Intel and AMD CPU based computers are becoming more affordable where you can buy a Windows 10 PC for $90, so user's don't save much money by using Windows 10 on a cheap mobile/ARM CPU found on Windows RT tablets which are very unpopular compared to Intel and AMD based PCs.

Back