Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
Gaming and fitness, really doesn't mix.

Microsoft has announced plans to shut down Xbox Fitness, starting with the removal of content from the Xbox Marketplace today. Existing users can use Xbox Fitness until July 7th, 2017.

I find it rather interesting that people weren't into this considering it must have been hands free compared to the fitness software they had for the wii. Why this idea never took off is beyond me but it also makes me wonder how much more content is going to be stripped away from the market. I mean, Microsoft had some pretty cool ideas with that camera device if you look it up with the intent to even make a persons room seem like they were in the game. And you can't beat hands free in my opinion.

I know why they are doing this, it's because they finally figured out that they can't be everything to everyone. Systems don't really play well with many other things in peoples lives. Next thing you know, they might start coming out with ways to create cooking video games for real families.

I would never like that idea because it just shows that they are desperate to make as much money as they can from their consoles, not really caring about true innovation. My opinion.

This bothers me.

Not because I care about the fitness program itself... but rather because this is a prime example why the whole "games as service" mentality sucks. People paid good money for this stuff and it's going to end with them being locked out of content they paid to use. It's a disgusting cash grab is all this was.

Furthermore it also entrenches bad faith between customer and company. I mean if you bought the xbox fitness then get screwed over with it, are you going to want to support Xbox in their next endeavour? Probably not.

I'd also suggest that this has the side effect of making people at least consider piracy a bit more. I mean if you as the customer have the option of paying (say $50) for a piece of content but the whole time you're treated like a thief (constant checks to ensure you can actually use the content you paid for) and it can be take away from you... Or you can get it for free, be treated like a thief anyway and have the content as long as you want it... It's almost like why would you even really bother paying for it?

Reactions: lb
This bothers me.

Not because I care about the fitness program itself... but rather because this is a prime example why the whole "games as service" mentality sucks. People paid good money for this stuff and it's going to end with them being locked out of content they paid to use. It's a disgusting cash grab is all this was.

Furthermore it also entrenches bad faith between customer and company. I mean if you bought the xbox fitness then get screwed over with it, are you going to want to support Xbox in their next endeavour? Probably not.

I'd also suggest that this has the side effect of making people at least consider piracy a bit more. I mean if you as the customer have the option of paying (say $50) for a piece of content but the whole time you're treated like a thief (constant checks to ensure you can actually use the content you paid for) and it can be take away from you... Or you can get it for free, be treated like a thief anyway and have the content as long as you want it... It's almost like why would you even really bother paying for it?

I would hope and assume faithfully that Xbox fitness was shut down because it had a very low user base. As in shutting down wouldn't affect many people.

Back