Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Credits
Full year of Nintendo Online
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
It's official, Microsoft does not make video games priority and is making Xbox a entertainment system and not a game console. So unfortunately the Xbox console system series is dead. Why do I say this?

Simply put the Xbox one requires a day one update which isn't bad but the Xbox one will not play games unless you get that update. If you have no internet, your internet goes down or the worst possible thing happens and Microsoft's server which holds the update goes down/has problems you bought a $600 machine brick.

source of this info.

It really does sadden me that a game company has gone down this road.

As soon as they made the Xbox somewhat comparable to PS4 it goes down like this. Really dont even see a purpose for it now...

It's like they expect that everyone has a fast and safe internet connection. Too bad that they're going backwards.

This stinks. I wonder if Bestbuy, Gamestop, and other stores selling the Xbox One will have a Geek Squad service which help buyers for the Xbox One update their console with the internet connection at the store for a small fee like $1-3, or free.

The Wii Mini is less powerful than the Xbox One, but at least, it does not need any internet connection to start playing games, and no updates are needed like Xbox One.

PC is now the only modern gaming platform where you don't need updates or the internet to start playing games movies, and music after you bought a PC, and you have PC games in disc form, or you already have a lot of game installer files on an external hard drive, flash drive, or disc.

It's not as bad as the old requirements which was to have an always on internet connection in order to play any of the games at all which was a terrible piece of DRM which the console originally had before Microsoft had to go back on it due to the massive outrage (which I can imagine them reintroducing at a later time).

It's not that bad. You don't even need a fast secure internet connection, you only need a brief internet connection for the setup and that's it. You could even use USB Broadband dongle to do that.

GamerPerfection said:
It's not that bad. You don't even need a fast secure internet connection, you only need a brief internet connection for the setup and that's it. You could even use USB Broadband dongle to do that.
there is still the issue of MS being able to provide the update at all times.

GSquadron said:
LoL, this was a nice joke by Microsoft :)
this is no joke.

We pretty much knew this back in June when it was revealed that they removed the DRM by forcing a day one patch. So... I'm not surprised at all. 

Also, they state it's only expected to take 15-20 minutes to download... But at what speed? That is the core issue.
I mean 15 minutes at a 50mbps fibre op speed might be upwards of 3 gigabytes. Whereas someone with a 1.5mbps connection for that same 3GB download is going to be over 4 hours. 
But if they mean 15-20 minutes for a 1.5mbps connection then that might only be about 200 MB (which is slightly smaller than Sony's day one patch. Which clocks in at 300 MB or about 30-35 minutes to download for a 1.5mbps connection.)

I think if MS just burned DVD-R discs with the update on it set to auto installs, and gave each Xbox One buyer a update disc to update the Xbox One, this would not be as much of a problem. I wonder if there would be a disc option for people on dial-up or no internet where MS would send them a disc to update their Xbox One.

DVD-R disc are very cheap, they only cost about 20 cents each when bought in packs of 100 for 20 dollars. DVD-R also can hold up to 4.4GB of files for single layer disc, and 8.9 GB for Dual Layer DVD-R disc.

Disc updates are a benefit for PC where it is possible to install updates from a disc, USB flash drive, and other storage devices which contains the updates which is useful if you own more than 1 PC like Internet cafe with hundreds of PCs.

That's a pretty good idea... 
I mean if they were buying discs in bulk quantities then they could probably get a discount so that it would be even less than 20 cents a disc. 

Though if they did that then it might undermine their whole digital requirement. (Which is likely what they don't want. They want everyone to get connected to the internet because then it pushes towards the all-digital future they want. So they don't want to sabotage that by offering other options/solutions... even to problems they created.)

If MS wants to maintain the online requirement, or just doesn't want to spend the money on a DVD-R discs, they can create an online disc creator program to let users burn the disc from Windows after it has downloaded to a person's PC before they pick up their console.

MS can make a .exe program file to download the files to update to disc from their website, and ask a user to put in a blank disc to burn the update disc like how the .exe Windows 7-8 install disc creator works where it download a .exe program, and it creates the install disc for Windows for you after put in a disc to be burned.

Plus, people who have friends who also have an Xbox One can use the Xbox update disc to upgrade more machines without using as much bandwidth, and discs, and people can share the disc images on Bittorent, and other file sharing networks, so even if the MS servers are down, the updates can still be downloaded like how many software installers are always online because they are hosted on bittorent, college servers, download websites like SourceForge and websites which webmasters decided to use to share the install files.

Back