Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCGKATko82U

The mic has been dropped, the challenge has been put forth and Microsoft has taken a jab at Sony for offering full Backwards Compatibility at no extra cost for both discs and digital games.

You can get full details and game lists here:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/backward-compatibility

This is huge for Microsoft (and gamers).

I'm really glad to see that they're doing it simply because backwards compatibility is a huge issue. (No one wants to lose access to their old games simply because they bought a new console.) Plus for people who bought an xbox one but never bought a 360... they can now go buy 360 games to play. (Either via digital or hardcopy.)

Additionally, it was a good shot at Sony over what Sony did 2 years ago with the game sharing.

It's exciting, but not needed. I still have my Xbox 360 and I still have games for it. I would feel weird if I bought the game again on a different system when I already own it. I wonder if they will give some sort of credit if you trade it in for a new version...sorta like what they did for the switch to Minecraft for the Xbox one.

While I sold most of my Xbox 360 games in the past, this is awesome that Microsoft is doing this. This is alot better system then what the Playstation does with Playstation Now where you have to pay for PS3 games. Does kinda bug me though that they didn't have this implemented earlier if it was possible.

I just hope that for this, you won't have to pay for the games you already own. Another worry are the compatibility issues.  For example, there was a banner for the Backwards compatibility that showed repeats of covers for the same games, which makes me worry that there will be only a select few games backwards compatible. PC has had backwards compatibility for not only games, but peripherals since the 90s, and I'm actually glad to see consoles catching up in that department. Playstation has been slacking for this whole year it seems, thinking initial sales have determined their end profit. Microsoft has really been turning around their game, so that's exciting to see.

The only way that Sony can tie the Xbox One is by having it be backwards compatible also. People will definitely would be buying the ps4 more if they can play their games from ps3.

This is really great news and something I never expected to happen.

I now wish I hadn't sold off all my Xbox 360 games.

I'm not a huge xbox fan, due to lack of JRPG content, but backwards compatibility is a good thing. I would love to be able to replay Lost Odyssey again but I sold my 360 :) Maybe someday I'll buy an Xbox 1 to play it.

Backwards compatibility is definitely a plus, and to be honest, it's something that I think should have happened a lot sooner. Hopefully Microsoft's announcement will be the impetus for an industry-wide change towards more compatibility and less "locked-in" type feeling.

The other thing is, Sony really stepped up their streaming service with the Vue announcement they made at E3. At the last major Sony console release there was talk of a "game streaming service" that would run old games in the cloud and let you "stream" them - any ideas on whether Sony or Microsoft will do this? (Should probably cross-post in a Sony thread!)

Given the rise in popularity of streaming services, "streaming" games does not seem that un-realistic an idea.

It would probably work on a rental basis though, like you pay for a months access lets say and you can play that game for a month before your time runs out and you can then chose to buy more time. It would be a pretty good concept for gamers if they are not sure they would like a game or not. Buy a weeks access and if they don't like it then they havn't lost that much.

Susimi said:
Given the rise in popularity of streaming services, "streaming" games does not seem that un-realistic an idea.

It would probably work on a rental basis though, like you pay for a months access lets say and you can play that game for a month before your time runs out and you can then chose to buy more time. It would be a pretty good concept for gamers if they are not sure they would like a game or not. Buy a weeks access and if they don't like it then they havn't lost that much.
I will never fully support steaming games, its rare that a day goes by and I don't have a streaming issues with video alone on my ISP connection.

This was really needed in the One.  My girlfriend has a Xbox One she uses to play Destiny and Halo, but she never had an Xbox 360.  I have a few game from the 360, and wanted to give them to her for her to experience some of my favourite games (Mass Effect and others) but until now, this has been a no-go.  Microsoft really needed to make this change, and I think it will surely boost sales for them.

Back