Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
It was announced today that Xbox one will be released this November 2013 for 21 markets for the price of $499 UDS, 499 Euros and 429 pounds in the UK.

No exact release date was given for the system.

Ew. That's a gross price.I hope the PS4 doesn't have the same price (haven't checked its price yet).

I don't like the $499 price for the Xbox One.

The main reason many parents and kids get gaming consoles because they are cheaper than a Gaming PC.

Now with Steam for Linux, and Steam for Linux there are more affordable games available for PC than any next gen console since most games on Steam work on older and newer versions of Windows, Mac, and Linux since they are backwards compatible, and PC has the biggest library of games because of backwards compatibility, and it is more easy to make, and sell games on PC.

By spending 100 dollars more, gamers can get a slim Alienware Gaming PC the size of a console for $599 at http://www.alienware.com/ubuntu/

Alienware X51 main specs
  • Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz Dual Core
  • Ubuntu operating system
  • 6GB DDR3 at 1600MHz (2 DIMMS)
  • 1GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 645
  • Slot Load Dual Layer DVD Burner
  • Dell Wireless 1506 (802.11gn) WLAN half mini-Card
  • 1TB SATA 3Gb/s,7200RPM

which has better specs  than the Xbox One like an Actual multi-core CPU 3.3GHz Intel Core i3, and a dedicated PCI-Express video card instead of an APU which is a CPU combined with integrated/onboard video which isn't upgradeable, or replaceable. Gamers also get 1TB of hard drive space to install games and actual desktop programs like VLC Media Player, SKype, and any software they want onto a drive instead of being forced to use an online marketplace, and closed apps store.

Xbox ONE is not just a gaming console though is it. Microsoft have moved in to the entertainment era, not that it's a good move.

500 for xbox one is far too much. Even if the system was like 20$ I'd still say it was too much given all the restrictions placed on it. 

And especially since (at the time of writing this) the PS4's price has been revealed too.

Perhaps you may think it so. 

But to be perfectly clear, I used 20$ merely to show that even if the system was remarkably cheap that I still wouldn't buy it. And that's because I refuse to waive my rights. I refuse to let microsoft dictate how, when and where I can play the games I bought. I refuse to be treated like a thief for being a paying customer. I refuse to let DRM control how I use my system. I refuse the xbox one because it is very much wanting me to serve it and I am not interested in that. 

So if it's dumb that I won't pay for a console that waives my rights... So be it. But at the end of the day if you do buy it and waive all your rights, who is really the stupid one? Especially if you then go an start complaining once the reality and restrictions become apparent? 

DS stop being a cave man. lol NES is literally 30 years old. Big difference between then and now.

GracefulAssassin said:
DS stop being a cave man. lol NES is literally 30 years old. Big difference between then and now.
You miss my point that I'm making. I can still and always play the NES even 100 years from now. Xbox one? the system becomes paper weight without the Live server that makes the system play games.

Yeah, because I want to pay 500 dollars for a machine that is going to snoop on me and won't let me buy used games.  I almost buy used games exclusively these days, as I get tons of member benefits at GameStop.  Microsoft screwed the pooch and I have a feeling they will lose revenue on this system.

Microsoft hasn't learned from Sony's PS3 release mistake -- the Xbox One costs 50-100 dollars too much. One factor that could lower the price by $60 would be to put the Kinect as a sold separately accessory, but those running the show really want the Kinect included. I know there are some tin-foil wearing conspiracists out there that think the Kinect is going to spy on them while the Xbox One isn't even turned on, and I'm not trying to say that this is what I think. Some people don't want the Kinect and others won't purchase any Kinect games at all. I know that this isn't the only problem with the Xbox One right now, but I think it factors in a big part of it. $449 sounds a lot different than $499. I think Microsoft and their shareholders should be a little worried about how this release is going to go down.

The Xbox One may have limitations, but the TV, Movies, and other features like the Dual HDMI pass through can convince TV and movie viewers to get the Xbox One.

There are still many people who still watch TV, so the Xbox One can be popular with Cable TV, and movie viewers which have a far bigger audience than Gaming because almost everyone watches TV, Movies, or video online via Netflix, Hulu or YouTube.

The Xbox One could get a lot of viewers on video subscriptions for streaming and downloading movies, sports, and TV since a lot of people watch sports, movies,  News,TV shows, and other programming on TV, but Cable TV is very expensive when people order HBO, ESPN, Disney, Cartoon Network, Comedy Central, and all the other big TV networks. The Xbox One also has a DVR feature, so you can probably record shows to watch offline, or copy to your smartphone, laptop, and tablet to watch on the go.

The Xbox One also has a HDMI input feature for searching for shows to watch, and information on shows on Cable TV via the overlay skin on the One.

Future Cable subscriptions from Cable TV providers like Comcast may come with an Xbox One since the Xbox One enhances the TV watching experience, and to help viewers find, learn more about shows, and record shows easier than before.

$500 is an expensive price, but the Tivo Premiere XL4 DVR cost $399.99 https://www3.tivo.com/store/premiere-xl4.do
, so if you are very into TV and movies, and looking for a High End DVR but also want to play a few games the Xbox One could be a better deal for $100 more. The Xbox One also can play Blu-Ray movies as well.

If the Xbox One software, user interface, features, and ease of use is better than a Tivo, and similar DVR, the Xbox One Could be popular with many TV watchers who also play games, or have kids who play games.

A lot of people don't mind spending an extra $100 on something more restrictive that is easier to use, and fit their needs better.

There are many people who buy more restrictive Apple Products like the iPhone 5, iPad, and iMac which are locked into the Walled-Garden Apple App store, and hardware with a proprietary Charging cable, but the iPhone 5 sells more than Google Android phones made by LG, HTC, Motorolla, etc which are less restrictive, and let you install apps from Amazon, Getjar, 1Mobile, and not just Google Play.

Back