Xbox One to have Mandatory Game Installs?

Demon_Skeith

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
Reports are claiming that Xbox One will require all games to be installed on the console's HDD before they can be played.

According to Wired, if owners want to use the disc with a second account they'll be asked to pay a fee and install the game from the disc, suggesting that once games are installed you won't need to insert the disc to play.
source

This is most likely true.

Not sure how that would affect companies like LoveFilm. If people rent games from them then it's going to continuously be used on different accounts.

GamerPerfection said:
Not sure how that would affect companies like LoveFilm. If people rent games from them then it's going to continuously be used on different accounts.
First off this is video games only and won't affect places like netflix or gamefly. PS3 does this already and there is no problems.

DS, it will affect those companies because you need to pay to install after the first time. That's nothing like the PS3.

I guest people who don't like installing games from discs, and just like playing games after buying, borrowing, or renting them are better off buying a Wii U which still run games off a disc.

One of the things I like about the 360 is you can just play games from discs even if you don't have a hard drive because gamers bought the Xbox 360 Core 4GB or Xbox 360 Arcade version for $199.99 or $99 if you sign up for 2 years of Xbox Live contract.

Plus, consoles tend to overprice their hard drives compared to regular hard drive for computers and laptops where you can buy a 2TB drive for under $100 if there is a sale.

Demon_Skeith said:
It appears the fee thing was not right:

https://twitter.com/MrJonty/status/336924553848684544

now it just says using the disc somewhere else will have the game uninstalled.
The fee thing is right I believe.

If the owner of the game sells it on Xbox ONE marketplace they are selling the licence basically. That will automatically cancel that persons licence and then when someone buys it they get a licence. The licence being the code by the way.

Not sure how it works if people sell games outside the Xbox ONE marketplace as the buyer is meant to by a new code at the cost of the game. Would that mean because the buyer bought a new code then both the seller and buyer have valid licences and keep the game as they've both paid full price? If the buyer buys a new code how would MS know which account the original owner was to deactivate it.

Yes the code is a one time activation we know that, but if you sell the game the buyer has to buy a new code. Did you read what I asked?

I asked how it may work if people sold games outside of the Xbox ONE marketplace.

What makes you think the person has to buy a new different code? If I had to take a guess what MS is shooting for,  each game has it's own code and nothing else. Once a person registers the code online the online checking thing checks for the code each time the system goes online. If more than two consoles hold the code it would remove the first registration leaving the second registration full owner of the game.

Back