Xbox Xbox Scorpio announce trailer

strongest console eh? So its completely new?

I am not a huge fan. The Xbox One only recently came out and now we are getting a whole new console? I think this is just going to add confusion and frustration. I think the Xbox One slim was smart but it is much too early for this.

I see where they are going with this, and it's great that they are making it upward compatible. It's too bad they couldn't have the games on the scorpio downward compatible, minus the notable difference in graphics.

Wasn't this the case when going from the XBox to XBox 360? Not that I disagree with you - it should be relatively trivial to include both versions on disc (or as a downloadable). PCs have been doing it for a lot of years (x86 vs x86-64, windows vs linux vs mac os). Hopefully at best they require a small upgrade fee to go from non-scorpio to scorpio content instead of the full price for a new game.

Still, though, it is very odd. Specially when we consider their recent push for Xbox Play Anywhere.

I don't feel like splitting your consumers into Xbox One and Scorpio users is going to end well for Microsoft, but I do understand the need to step up in hardware to stay competitive while still supporting Xbone. It's going to be interesting to see what sort of dev support the Scorpio gets too. It might be difficult for developers to focus a lot on improving their games for Scorpio if not enough of the market is going to have one, which would make the Scorpio even less worth buying, causing there to be less dev support. Similar to what happened with the PS Vita.

It also concerns me for console gamers that Microsoft feels the need to upgrade so quickly after releasing the Xbox one. It not only shows how under powered this gen of consoles are, but also could be a problem if this pattern of upgrading entire consoles so quickly continues.

This sounds really exciting! It seems like this might be the thing it takes to really put Xbox a step ahead of the other consoles out there. I know I'm definitely going to be itching to try it when it comes out.

Back