Awards
Credits
Nintendo $20 EShop
Nintendo $20 EShop
Mature Board Viewing
PSN Gift Card $20
PSN Gift Card $20
Read from VGC:

According to GamesIndustry.biz head Chris Dring, who said his takeaway from GDC last week was that he thinks “Xbox is in real trouble as a hardware manufacturer”.

“The other thing I heard—I heard it from a very prominent company and one not so prominent—was Xbox’s performance in Europe is just flatlining”, he said.

“You can follow our monthly coverage in the games market and you can see that Xbox sales are falling, and it’s been falling all throughout last year and it’s falling even harder this year.

“The phrase one major company who released a big game last year said [was], ‘I don’t know why we bothered supporting it’.

“We mentioned on a previous podcast that we’d heard retailers in Europe are considering or had already been cutting back their Xbox stock on their shelves—hardware, games, that kind of thing—and now you’ve got third-party publishers going, ‘we’re putting in a lot of effort trying to create a Series S version and an X version of a game when, to be honest with you, for us the market is PC and PS5’.”

PS5 had outsold Xbox Series X/S by around 2-to-1 globally as of the end of 2023, according to data shared by Grand Theft Auto publisher Take-Two.

Dring continued: “And with Xbox putting some of the games on PS5—from what I understand the majority of them will be coming across at some point, assuming it progresses as Xbox believes it probably will—I think Xbox is in real trouble as a hardware manufacturer, and that was the thing that came out of GDC for me.”

He added: “I thought it would be fine, but then I didn’t really factor in that some developers and publishers might just go, ‘yeah I don’t, you know, is there any point?’ And that is when you can lose it.”

I feel most people who wanted an Xbox Series X or S would of bought one a few years ago, so there are not a lot of new buyers for Xbox consoles.

It's a sign of the times, there's a major shit towards PS5 and PC. Most of my friends have a PS5, and only one has an Xbox One X. He doesn't even own a new Series Xbox. And another trend is more, and more people are moving to PC gaming and away from game consoles.

Is this why they're planning to announce a handheld? Lol.

Xbox is just a sad story unless they try something with a new handheld that accepts smaller physical media to save on shelf space.

I feel more Xbox gamers are choosing PC gaming instead of buying the Xbox Series X because it can be more affordable to play games on PC if you already own a good PC you bought a few years ago for accessing the internet, school or work tasks. Some gamers also have free access to a good PC which allow some gamers to play games on without spending money if a friend or family member let them use their PC for gaming.

There are also a lot of cheap games, free to play, free, and opensource PC games which makes gaming on PC more affordable.

Last edited:
Microsoft shot themselves in the foot when they required games to work equally on both their strong and weaker system. Still, going handheld might be best though I think they should drop/refocus hardware concerns into PC and just focus on software.

Back