Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
Zelda series producer Eiji Aonuma revealed today at E3 that players can reach the end goal without experiencing the game's entire storyline.

"Users may not actually get the full story depending on how they play this game and how they strategize and solve puzzles," Aonuma told Polygon, adding that players will be "able to go to the very end goal without revealing why Link woke up the way he did and where he did."

Aonuma also confirmed that players will be given the freedom to take on the final boss immediately after the game's opening sequence, but was careful to point out that he doesn't recommend this approach to those looking for the best experience.

"Anybody who can go straight to the goal without doing anything else," according to Aonuma, is either a "really good gamer" or "somebody that's a little crazy." That being said, he emphasized that completing the game in this manner is "not impossible," as the team "created the game like that" and "might be fun for fans to compete in a challenge for who can clear it first."

That's interesting. I am an OCD person when it comes to these types; to finish everything before finishing the game, and the idea that I may not get certain quests or at least cinematics if I blow one of the side quests or puzzles would truly be devastating, to the point where I really have to reset and try all over again. Same with Witcher 3 and Fallout 4, I had to replay the game multiple times (after completing) because I really wanted to see all the endings, all the alternates, all the bonuses you get if you choose all choices, and all the branches that go with them. This will be a fun game, I can just feel it.

You can complete the game without finishing the story? What's sorcery is this?!?!?

I can already imagine all those YouTube videos explaining the certain paths and actions you need to take to get the complete story. Seems cool to be able to finish the game without knowing the story and for me I dislike that aspect a bit because I play games to get involved in the story. I hope it's not like a punch in the face like Link's awakening was.

I really like this kind of approach, seamless playable stretches such as Dark Souls, most old pc rpgs, Jagged Alliance 2 and the first Legend of Zelda of Nes. The usual consolitis syndrome of forcing (and handholding) the player to follow a defined path with tons of over explained scripted cutscenes and crippling boundaries (like a non playable character or any other unoriginal barrier blocking your path until you don't complete X and Y first) was really getting tiresome.

Letting the users to choose their own way to advance in story, to discover what happened by exploring more and making logical connections in the plot is far more satisfactory, enjoyable and
a genuine evidence of the developer's creative capabilities. Dark souls was not highly praised only by its combat mechanics and difficulty, but also for leaving almost everything up
to the player,besides an almost nonexistant handholding after tutorial area.

Jagged Alliance 2 is another canadian marvel of Tactics Op game that allowed you to, by either spending weeks or even months preparing yourself to complete the objetive by seizing control of territories and finding better loot, or -if you know what you're doing- spend less than half a hour to finish the damn game. Fallout 1 and 2 also had something similar.

No boundaries is a different experience for every playthrough you start. If Breath of the wild remains true to this, then we probably will enjoy thousands of hours worth of quality gaming .

Meh, this is stupid. I hate a story that branches too much anyway, and now I can't even get to the actual ending without a guide? If I needed any more reasons to not get this game, this would most definitely do it!

I mean, I'm all for the choices mattering and all, but ultimately if I'm being robbed from the actual storyline because of it, then it makes absolutely no sense to me. Well, at least they're not selling the ending as a DLC...

I actually enjoy the idea of having complete freedom to do whatever you please in your story. I mean, in life, we have so many branches that we can take and experience, so why not allow a video game to do the same? If people want to fight the boss right off the bat, or to experience the full story, or even travel around, they have the freedom to do so and in the time manner that they please.

Has Zelda ever disappointed though?
Personally I don't see the point in trying to clock a game without getting the full extent of the story that it has to offer, but hey, that's just me.
I'm sure there's plenty of more competitive people out there who could give a crap about the story and just want to say 'I was the first, or among the first, to clock a Zelda game.'

Meh, that doesn't particularly appeal to me.

I actually enjoy the idea of having complete freedom to do whatever you please in your story. I mean, in life, we have so many branches that we can take and experience, so why not allow a video game to do the same? If people want to fight the boss right off the bat, or to experience the full story, or even travel around, they have the freedom to do so and in the time manner that they please.

Problem with that is though, what is the point of buying the game if you can beat it within minutes of starting it?

Has Zelda ever disappointed though?

skyward sword for me.

It is a novel concept and one that I approve of IF they likelihood of success against the final boss is extremely low when bypassing the main story or significant branches of the story line. If only the best of the best can win in that scenario, then it would be great to witness a true master of their craft but if it is too easy (relatively) then the experience will be devalued.

The point is that you have the freedom to do so. If you kill the boss immediately, that was your decision. You can't blame the game for making the decision in it. :p

I can't wait to see the speedrun and speedrun categories for this game.

That being said, knowing Nintendo it won't be difficult to figure out what you have to do to piece together the whole story, so I'm not too worried. This open world style Zelda game is a very interesting direction, but I'm not sure how much I want The Legend of Elder Scrolls, so to speak. It will be interesting to see further developments. It may actually convince me to buy a Wii U.

This is a big throw back to the original Zelda where you can do the dungeons out of order. A Link Between Worlds also implemented this freedom, but I don't believe you could go straight to the end. I personally am a big fan of this. While, I will most likely play the game in it's correct order, there is no reason to not let players play how they want. Let's be honest, Zelda games don't have the most amazing stories. They are interesting, but mainly there to progress the gameplay. This will be a nice change of pace.

Although it's a nice thought and I guess for speed runs in the future it will be fun, but I personally would want to enjoy the open world aspect of it without just doing a boss rush and finishing the game. I am one that would definitely want to get my money's worth but the open world concept is definitely a nice touch although there is that thought in the back of my mind that too much of a good thing can be a very bad thing, but I don't think in this case it will come out that way nor will people first playing know exactly where to head to fight the last boss in the first place when initially playing. I don't think it will be too revealing to have to worry but I guess we'll find out!

I think the key thing to remember is that ultimately, it is up to the player as to how much they explore and how much they just power through the game to complete it. Some people may complain that you can tackle the boss right from the start and don't see the point, but the great thing is that you personally don't have to. I really like the amount of freedom they're planning to give the player and it will ultimately make for a very diverse and entertaining gaming experience, since it's unlikely that two people will follow the exact same path.

Back