Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Credits
Full year of Nintendo Online
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
Every single Xbox One can be used to make games, Microsoft says—in other words, you can use the next-gen console as your very own development kit.

UPDATE: But not at launch. Microsoft's Marc Whitten just told us that devkit functionality will be added at a later date.

The Xbox 360 was a closed system, but it appears that its successor will be far more open. In a statement to Kotaku today confirming news that leaked earlier on Game Informer, Xbox's corporate vice president Marc Whitten said that all Xbox Ones will function as development kits, which are usually only available to licensed developers.

Here's Microsoft's official comment:

Our vision is that every person can be a creator. That every Xbox One can be used for development. That every game and experience can take advantage of all of the features of Xbox One and Xbox LIVE. This means self-publishing. This means Kinect, the cloud, achievements. This means great discoverability on Xbox LIVE. We'll have more details on the program and the timeline at gamescom in August.

UPDATE: Don't worry—Microsoft assures us that self-published indie games won't be relegated to the wasteland of the Xbox Live Indie Marketplace. There will be one big area to access all kinds of games, Whitten says.

"My goal is for it to just show up in the marketplace," he told us. "Of course there will be different pivots inside of that. There will be everything from what are we curating, kind of like spotlight content, to the normal discoverability stuff like recommendations, what's trending, what's got a lot of engagement on the platform. And you'd be able to find that content in any of those. There wouldn't be any difference based on what type of game it was. Then of course there will be other type of pivots where you can go and look at whether its a genre of game or any other. But you shouldn't think of it as there's an indie area and a non-indie area."

Whitten elaborated on ways you can sift through these games:

"Just as today, where we will highlight things that are coming in on the service, we want to make that more discoverable. We'll make it things that we curate as well as the other ways that you find content whether that's what your friends are doing or what we recommend based on your play behavior. Or top listings. We want to make sure we have all of those types of discoverability mechanisms."

As for what the process will be like for gamers and indie developers to publish on the Xbox One, Whitten only shared the basics with us today. He says that it will be a simple process of visiting a website to sign up as a developer to set up your console as a devkit. You'll be able to download the devkit and edit source code on your PC to transfer over to the Xbox One.

No word on any cost to developers, but if you want to charge for your games, Whitten says that pricing will resemble what it does on today's Xbox 360 Marketplace.

Whitten hopes that their certification system required before publishing games on the console will take care of both the technical and policy requirements necessary to ensure that there's no funny business happening with either IP infringement or any policies they might reveal on mature content.
We'll hear the rest of the details from Gamescom, he says.
source

I do believe this is the one up MS needs to make One stand up against PS4.

I guest all people need is a USB keyboard, and mouse, and to install the game making software to Xbox One to start making games.

I wonder can they also make non-gaming apps like messaging and chat room apps for Xbox One, and Windows 8 with the Xbox One.

It would be cool if people can also use the Xbox One to make non-Xbox Games like PC games, and Web browser games, so they can share their games with people who don't own a Xbox One, but own a PC, or have access to a device like a tablet, smartphone, and eReader with a web browser which can play web browser games.

I read that it does support Keyboard and mouse because Microsoft was promoting the Xbox One as being a good office computer for editing documents on Microsoft Online Cloud Office program, and Skype also has a built-in text chat app
which would benifit from keyboard and mouse support.

Xbox One has USB ports, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and other stuff which can be used to connect a keyboard, and mouse, so Xbox One probably support keyboard and mouse because it can.

I read forum posts on Gamespot which says the 360 does work with USB Keyboard according to http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/25584436

There is also a tutorial on how to use a USB keyboard and mouse on the 360 at http://www.ehow.com/how_6098963_use-keyboard-mouse-xbox-360.html

MS would most likely not take away USB keyboard and mouse option on the Xbox One since it has no need to, and it will disapoint users who use a keyboard and mouse to browse the web, edit documents, and use social networks with the Xbox One.

It does work with a keyboard and a mouse.

And from what I've heard, on the release of the consoles at the end of the year, there will be almost 3 Xbox One's available for every PS4.

Looks like they are doing everything they can to catch up to Sony.

This is absolutely amazing and something I feel that was long over due myself for gaming. Many game developers will more than likely love this, being able to work on their own creations and eventually release them to the public to be tested and played. It's a real door opener for all current and upcoming game developers.

It would be great if Xbox One makes it possible to install PC games on the Xbox One since the Operating System for Xbox One is Windows 8, and a lot of PC games support gamepad, and the Xbox One works with Keyboard and mouse.

Back