Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Full year of Nintendo Online
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
A young man in China's Hunan province was sent to the hospital last week in what looked like another case of a sudden death in an internet cafe. Luckily, the man is still alive.

According to a report by Voice of China, 26 year-old Xiao Qiang collapsed at his seat in the internet cafe after a three-day gaming session. That's right, three days and three nights spent playing games at an internet cafe.

Xiao Qiang was reportedly rushed to the nearby Hunan Brain Hospital in Changsha. There, doctors declared that Xiao Qiang had suffered a brain hemorrhage.

Voice of China reports that Xiao Qiang is an average office worker and online gamer. According to VoC, the man, who enjoys eating fried chicken and drinking carbonated drinks, weighs in at around 100 kilograms—a possible risk factor, according to the doctors at the hospital.

Xiao Qiang now suffers from partial paralysis. Resident supervising doctor Xiong Zhiwei says that he can recover most motor function, but will have impaired speech and some mental difficulties.
source

I bet he is trying to play games as soon as possible.

Man, the Chinese sure take their video games very seriously to the point it affects their health. This is a good reminder that we should take breaks from Gaming, and look out for other gamers who maybe at risk of having health problems from gaming too much. 

I also bet he is looking for fried chicken, and soda after he leaves the hospital since hospital food is not the best tasting food compared to fried chicken and soda.

I think Asians in general have strong interests in games. South Koreans play a lot of games where it becomes a national sport where people play Starcraft 2, and other RTS on TV for prize money. The Japanese also play a lot of games, but I hear fewer stories of gaming becoming a national sport, or people getting strongly addicted to games like the Chinese where they game until they faint.

The Chinese also like spending a lot of money on virtual items like swords, potions, and clothing for their game characters in MMORPG games.

I'm not sure how people can play games for so long, I need a break after a couple of hours tops, let alone getting to the stage where i'm on a game all day  :confused:

I remember playing Final Fantasy 8, Kingdom Hearts 1-2, Super Mario Bros, Golden Sun, and Fable using up a lot of my time when I did not have homework, housework, and other tasks like bathing I need to do. I used to spend hours on GameFAQ, and other sites reading through forums, walk throughs, and cheats to play the game, and beat bosses.

Sadly, there seem to be fewer newer games which kept me as interested as older games.

I think game makers decided to make shorter games to save money on making games, and so gamers beat games faster. When gamers beat games faster, they buy more games, or buy Downloadable content/expansion packs and in-game items which can sometimes cost more than the game if you buy a lot of DLC  and in-game items.

Game levels these days also seem to have less places to explore and things to do unless it is an open world game like Grand Theft Auto 5, and Minecraft where there are a lot of things to do if you use your imagination to try new things.

I'm Asian and I don't think all of us are that devoted to video games. Only a selection of our race is. I don't think I could ever game for so long.

There seems to be more and more people not realizing the line between balanced lifestyle and gaming. Maybe people have nowadays too much time to do anything else than play games. However I am not saying that gaming is for bad but we should still maintain  healthy daily rutins.

I can stay at my computer playing videogames for a maximum of 4 hours. And that's rare and happens only if the game is extremely good. I make a mental note to get off the chair at least for a couple of minutes, drink water or go to the loo. It's just not a healthy practise sitting for long hours or looking at a computer screen for long. Your body can only take so much.

I've played games up to 6 hours a time, but I think after three days I'd just be staring at the screen walking in circles!! My friends and I used to stay up all night playing Madden and Smash Bros and all kinds of games, but I'm getting old now and cant do that anymore. I hope this poor kid gives his body time to recover. 

I can't imagine why you would game for three days straight and how you keep carrying on gaming. When I am playing for a few hours straight, I can already feel that my eyes are hurt. How can you ever be this addicted to a game?

This is kind of funny, and sad at the same time. It reminds me of those stories about the chinease people who jumped down into a hole of poop after their cellphone, and they died. People claim that the story about the mobile phone in the poop-tank is fake, but you never know...

Anyway, it's funny because it's kind of extreme, and it's sad because he's probably not going to be living a normal life after this incident :(

Personally the most I have played in a row is probably about 12-20 hours. Of course, i do take "breaks" for eating/peeing, but yeah... I don't really have a problem playing for a lot of hours in a row, but I can't really imagine myself spending 3 whole days and nights on playing, that's just insane. What kind of bothers me is the fact that noone noticed that he sat there for three full days. I mean, is there no staff on that place? Is there noone monitoring how long everyone has been using the computers? After all, it was on a net-café, and not in his own house.

I suppose net-café owners might not care about peoples lives... They only care about the money. I'm sure that net-café owner earned quite a lot of money form that guy sitting there for three full days. 

I am not a serious gamer so I am very surprised that a business would allow a person to sit in their establishment for three days straight. It wasn't until I Google internet cafe in China that I  realized how it could happen. From the images, it looks like hundred plus people are there at one time. There should be some type of system that forces the internet user to log-off. In my opinion game companies should create a game feature that forces the game to pause for at least thirty minutes. I'm probably going to catch some heat because of my previous sentence. I stand firm on my opinion because I watched my baby boy become so consumed with playing his iPod, Nintendo DS-XL and, PlayStation that he didn't know how to behave when he wasn't playing. He wasn't acting out too bad but, he would do crazy stuff out of sheer boredom. Now he has to earn playing time by doing chores without being asked and reading more books.

Back