Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
In Japan, generally speaking, you cannot rent video games, nor can you rent consoles. It's just not done.

Software and hardware companies successfully pushed for a ban on rentals, which is why used games in Japan are in such good shape. Players buy new games, complete them very quickly and then sell them second hand. Pristine condition means higher resale. (However, it is possible to rent CDs, so sort that one out!)

For a limited time, at least one retailer is offering players the chance to buy an Xbox 360 and then sell it back for only ¥2,000 (US$25) less than the console's original price. The catch is that players only have seven days after purchase to decide whether or not they'd like the hardware.

So essentially, this is renting an Xbox 360 for ¥2,000! But this retailer should be warned. Back in 2003, a Fukuoka-based game shop was caught "renting" video games due to its system of buying back week-old games for 80 percent of their sticker price, which would mean it was essentially renting. The shop was investigated by the police and even brought up on criminal charges by the district prosecutor. A similar fate could await this Xbox 360 seller.

source

wow, I did not know you couldn't rent games in japan. be interesting to see what would happen if the same thing happen in the states.

wow, I did not know you couldn't rent games in japan. be interesting to see what would happen if the same thing happen in the states.

I think since people are so use to renting Games, Movies, etc in Canada and the United States, people might protest against the law, and politicians might have fewer votes during the next election by people who enjoy their freedom to rent average or really bad and B Grade movies and games which are just worth playing once.

A lot of complaining and protesting.

I agree there will be complaining and letter writing, but probably not much protesting like the DRM (Digital Rights Management) protest a few years. But, I see NetFlix, Block Buster costumers, the owners of rental companies, and very active renters protesting.

I haven't rented a game in years. It's too expensive. You can buy a used game and return it within 30 days and get a refund at a few stores here in Texas. :p
Blockbuster will charge you nearly 10 bucks for 5 days. It's a little excessive.

Game companies would probably like to push for no renting... This would mean more people would have to buy the game. Hopefully more would buy new at that.

For my own renting habits... I haven't rented a game in years. Mostly because the cost of renting is nearly 10-15$ so it's sometimes cheaper just to buy the game than rent it. (Places like Futureshop/Bestbuy or Gamestop sometimes have good games as low as 20$.) But also because on the PS3 they give you the option to download demos of the games so you can try it and know whether or not you like it, where before on the N64/PS1 or even PS2/Gamecube sometimes it was more about getting in store, seeing what they had and looking at the cover art and going: "Will I like this game? Do I want to try it?"

I dont think it would be that bad if renting was banned in the uk. Its mainly used to rent easy gamerscore games you would never buy.

Back