Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
When it takes nearly 2 hours to back up your stuff to an external HDD. ^^;

That's a lot of files. I remember in the past, USB 1.1 hard drives and ports took a long time to transfer a smaller amount of files. The maximum speed of USB 1.1 is 12 Mbps , so it can take a long time to backup a few GBs of files.

For me, it takes longer than 5 hours to take complete backup.
Well, I don't have a higher RAM. My laptop got 4 GB RAM and that's it.

For me, it takes longer than 5 hours to take complete backup.
Well, I don't have a higher RAM. My laptop got 4 GB RAM and that's it.

Tbh RAM isn’t that significant when it comes to backing up to an external device. The speed in this case is mostly based off of what type of connection the device has, and how large of files you have. So transferring 64gb of stuff will go by a lot faster on USB 3.0 as opposed to USB 2.0.

Some smaller portable external hard drives may have slower 5200 RPM/Revolutions per Second hard drives which may also make data transfer slower than a 7200 RPM and faster hard drive which are found on desktop PCs. There are also hard drives with a smaller cache RAM size like 8MB which may make data transfer slower.

The USB controller card and USB port like USB 2.0 can also be slower since USB 2.0 has a max speed of 480 Mbps. I feel cheaper USB 2.0 microchips may also be slower than USB 2.0 chips made by a better company.

Tbh RAM isn’t that significant when it comes to backing up to an external device. The speed in this case is mostly based off of what type of connection the device has, and how large of files you have. So transferring 64gb of stuff will go by a lot faster on USB 3.0 as opposed to USB 2.0.
That's news to me.
I was positive that even RAM plays an important part at bit level.

Back