Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
If you're still young enough to have someone telling you when to go to bed, remember this story the next time your mother tries to tell you enough's enough for one day.

12-year-old Jaxxyn Wood, from Kentucky, was up at 3:30am playing video games when he "smelled something really bad, like Legos on fire". What he smelled was actually the family's ice-maker on fire, with smoke starting to fill the hallway of his house.

After a quick attempt at putting the fire out himself, Jaxxyn raised the alarm, waking his family so they could evacuate the home. The fire eventually spread from the kitchen to the "dining areas", and there was extensive smoke damage to the rest of the property.

Jaxxyn's actions may have saved their lives, and definitely saved the house, as there were no smoke detectors installed in the home.

Before you go giving video games and poor sleeping habits too much credit, Jaxxyn knew exactly what to do because firefighters had visited his school and told him.

"A fireman came to our school and he said if there's ever a fire there's most likely gonna be smoke in the air," he said. "So you want to duck down and get everyone you can and get out."
source

Who says late night gaming is bad for you?

Good for him, warning his family of a fire.

What, I find strange is that there is no mention of a smoke detrctor and Carbon Monoxide detector in the Kitchen would turn on a load alarm  before the smoke fills the hallway of a house. I'm guesing there was also no sprinkler, or fire extinguiser to put out the fire before it bacame too big.

froggyboy604 said:
Good for him, warning his family of a fire.

What, I find strange is that there is no mention of a smoke detrctor and Carbon Monoxide detector in the Kitchen would turn on a load alarm  before the smoke fills the hallway of a house. I'm guesing there was also no sprinkler, or fire extinguiser to put out the fire before it bacame too big.
towards the end they mention there was no no smoke detectors installed. Which is not a wise thing to do.

Indeed, not having a smoke detector , and not changing a dead battery for a smoke detector is not very wise.

I give props to the gamer that saves the family. However the family should really get a smoke detector. That smoke detector is a live saver! 

I am glad everyone made it out of the house alive. But I am sorry a 12 year old should not be staying up to 3:30am. That's just flat out poor parenting! 

Greg

Ahw, that warmed my heart. :3 It did nothing to soothe my ongoing paranoia though, lmao. I think one of the reasons I have insomnia is because I'm so afraid of the house catching fire. D: But while I'm glad everyone's safe, invest in a smoke detector and put your child to sleep!

Demon_Skeith said:
Who says late night gaming is bad for you?

It's still bad for you! :no:

But it's good for other people in a situation like that. :lol:

I don't consider it terrible to stay up once in a while, at least not more terrible than burning or asphyxiating to death, but this was just a lucky break. The fireman who gave the talk at the school laid the good foundations, and the poor sleeping habits happened to be the right moment. It was just lucky, that's all.

(But I also agree to a rather harsh judgment of lax parenting that might not be the right context to bring up because it worked out for the best in this case, but yeah...)

My g/f regularly games until 2 or 3am.  We have a wired smoke detector so no battery needed, and from the PC you can see the whole apartment except for the bedroom.  Also have a fully charged fire extinguisher in the pantry.

Back