Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Credits
Full year of Nintendo Online
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
Music videos on YouTube in the UK will be silenced after negotiations between the Google-owned service and the countries' Performing Right Society failed to agree on new rates.

Both YouTube and the PRS issued statements outlining their respective sides. Google shot first, saying the PRS was asking for “many, many times moreâ€￾ for licensing fees than before.

“The costs are simply prohibitive for us,â€￾ it read. "Under PRS’ proposed terms, we would lose significant amounts of money with every playback.â€￾
The company also said the PRS would not detail which artists would be covered by the license. The PRS collects royalties for some 50,000 songwriters.

The industry shot back, implying Google is just being greedy.
“Google has told us they are taking this step because they wish to pay significantly less than at present to the writers of the music on which their service relies, despite the massive increase in YouTube viewing," the statement read.

YouTube is expected to remove all music videos immediately.

source

Yeah. This happened with one of my favorite music videos. One-Metallica. Got me wicked pist...

QUOTE (Spiritwarrior @ March 16, 2009 01:38 am) Not sure if this applies to the states, but sadly the UK users may not see much of any music videos.
That sucks since I think Youtube is a good way to promote music videos. I always thought MV are commercials for people to buy the artists CD, so by not having as many mv on youtube less people will know about the band since people do not always have time to watch MTV and MTV rarely plays mv these days.

Back