YouTube will now block ads on channels with under 10,000 views to prevent video theft

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
YouTube is taking measures to help ensure its user-generated content doesn’t end up positioning ads by big brands next to questionable content. The social network will not allow ads on channels that have fewer than 10,000 views total, across all their posted videos. YouTube told The Wall Street Journal that the measure has been in development since November, and that it’s intended to block channels which steal content from other sources from deriving revenue from the platform.

Read More

I think 10000 views is somewhat high, and won't stop video theft. Members can still make money by placing paid links like affiliate links in the description, or Adding in-video ads from paid advertiser in the video with a video editor like Windows Movie maker.

Sooo, someone's video has to get 10k to have ads placed or their previous videos need to be 10k to get ads? Which I assume if you don't get the 10k, you can't get any ad money?

I don't think this will help at all really. I mean if people are stealing from popular creators then it's entirely possible that they could hit that 10k requirement pretty quickly. So sure they take a hit on the first video for a bit, but then soon they're making money again. So then the only one who is really going to be affected are smaller channels trying to get started.

Though even then a lot of people aren't even bothering with ads anymore, they're asking for donation via patreon or they're getting sponsorships. (It's why you might see them plugging dollarshaveclub, lootbox, blueapron or something like that.)

Sooo, someone's video has to get 10k to have ads placed or their previous videos need to be 10k to get ads? Which I assume if you don't get the 10k, you can't get any ad money?

Users need to get 10000 views from all videos combined. A User who has 10 ten videos with 1000 or more views for each video will qualify for ads because they have 10000 combined video views.

I think users with less views can still join a larger channel/YouTube Network like Machinama, Fullscreen, Maker, StyleHaul etc which make it possible for them to earn money from less views. But, they need to share their earnings with their YouTube Network, and the Network will help promote your videos, help you find sponsorship, and let you use their website/forum, free music and video clips, and software to help them improve their videos.

But, Machinama, Maker, and other Networks are strict about who they accept, and you need to be good at making videos, and dedicated to making and uploading higher quality videos on a regular basis.

I get what they're trying to do, but it's stupid. It makes it harder for smaller channels to get noticed.

Users need to get 10000 views from all videos combined. A User who has 10 ten videos with 1000 or more views for each video will qualify for ads because they have 10000 combined video views.

I think users with less views can still join a larger channel/YouTube Network like Machinama, Fullscreen, Maker, StyleHaul etc which make it possible for them to earn money from less views. But, they need to share their earnings with their YouTube Network, and the Network will help promote your videos, help you find sponsorship, and let you use their website/forum, free music and video clips, and software to help them improve their videos.

But, Machinama, Maker, and other Networks are strict about who they accept, and you need to be good at making videos, and dedicated to making and uploading higher quality videos on a regular basis.

Well that's easy for established channels, impossible for new ones.

Well that's easy for established channels, impossible for new ones.

If you are active on a lot of social networks like Twitter, Facebook, Reddit, Instagram, and use forums and blogs, it is possible to get 10000 views if you regularly post videos, and promote them on your many social accounts, forums, blogs, and use word of mouth where you ask your friends and family to also view your video, and share it on their social networking pages.

New YouTube member can ask other new YouTube members to view their video, and they will also view their videos as part of a video watching exchange, so after a few weeks, reaching the 10000 views is possible depending on how many post/view exchanges you do with other new YouTube members.

Using small prizes like smartphone and tablet cases can be a good way of promoting an online video where you win a prize by helping promote, and comment on the video. There are a lot of people who may want to win a smartphone case since it is free.

The ads on youtube are out of control. I get so sick of going to watch a short clip only to be interrupted by a 3 minute ad.

The ads on youtube are out of control. I get so sick of going to watch a short clip only to be interrupted by a 3 minute ad.

I agree those long ads are annoying, but there is usually a skip button, or you can use an ad-blocker or web browser add-on to automatically block or skip those ads.

YouTube is a free video service, so there will be ads to help pay for the YouTube workers who run the website, hosting, and the video creators, and the owners of the music if the video contains copyrighted music which don't belong to the video creator, and is not a public domain free music track.

It's not great, but to be honest 10,000 views isn't a huge number. If you're even semi popular, you'll have that in a pretty reasonable amount of time.

It's not great, but to be honest 10,000 views isn't a huge number. If you're even semi popular, you'll have that in a pretty reasonable amount of time.

I agree, if you are semi-popular reaching 10,000 views can be done in a reasonable amount of time.

Many times, if users write good video titles, descriptions, tags, make slightly longer videos, and pick the right category for a video, they can get more views from people finding their video from the YouTube search engine, related video sidebar on the right of the YouTube video and at the end of each video. There are also many search engines like Google, Bing, Yahoo, and DuckDuckGo with a video search section which most likely use your video title, and text description to help people find videos on a Search engine.

There are also a lot of video viewers who publicly share videos on social networks where the post editor software use the same video title, and description in the user's post on social networks like Facebook, so if the title and description is good more people may views it.

I understand the reason behind that but I bet there are many people who make good videos and they each have like 8k views... They won't be able to profit from that.

I understand the reason behind that but I bet there are many people who make good videos and they each have like 8k views... They won't be able to profit from that.

I agree there are some videos which are good, and it is too bad they can't make any profit from YouTube.

It is a good idea to sell stuff like T-shirts with your channel name on it, use fund raising sites like Patreon, and find sponsors or advertisers to help earn money from videos if you need more money to make higher quality videos by buying a better camera, and video editing software.

I think that's a good idea. Whenever I try to watch NBA videos like news and hot takes, there's always mini channels that have them, obviously taken from somewhere else. This would discourage people from stealing videos and would probably benefit the owners of the videos. This, however, would cripple younger channels who are trying to grow, as they won't get any revenue for their work when they are trying to build up their market.

I think YouTube ads pay very little money to younger channels with less ads, and under 10000 views. Sometimes you are making less than 10 dollars for 10000 views depending on what types of ads which are being shown on your videos, and how much money the ad cost.

There are non-profit charity ads sometimes shown on videos where the ads don't pay money, or very little money.

Some charities, and small businesses may lose out on loyal visitors and customer to their website they are advertising by not being able to advertise on videos with less views. I feel subscribers who subscribe to smaller channels are sometimes more loyal than some subscribers of larger channels.

Back