Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Full year of Nintendo Online
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
Ask any editor what 2011 Wii title has their attention and the answer will undoubtedly be The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. In fact that's likely the answer the rest of you would give, even taking into consideration what could be considered a tough showing at E3 2010. What always had our excitement level high was knowing the game could arrive reasonably soon, particularly considering production seemed rather far along if Nintendo executives were giving the right signals. But perhaps that wasn't quite accurate?

In an interview with UK outlet Pocket Lint, Nintendo mastermind Shigeru Miyamoto assesses the completion of Skyward Sword as "over half complete," with no further detail offered. It's a statement that caught us completely off guard, particularly considering messaging in the past several months has been very different.

Rewind to July 2010. In an interview with Nintendo Power, Zelda producer Eiji Aonuma noted the "basis" for Skyward Sword was "very, very solid" and that "early 2011" is what the team was targeting for release. No doubt "early" could easily mean up to halfway through the year, but this was not the first time we'd heard the game was far along.

At E3 2010, during a roundtable that we live-blogged, Miyamoto mentioned that the game was in its final stretch, with just some dungeons to create. Skyward Sword's gameplay was solid, but final touches would push the game into 2011. In fact, according to Miyamoto in June, Skyward Sword would have been complete had it used the Twilight Princess visual style. The switch to a more exaggerated, colorful look caused a ripple effect that lead to the delays.

That leads us back to this new interview. There is no doubt that "over half complete" could mean anything. The game could be done; that's technically over half done. But considering language we were hearing just six months back, we are a bit curious. Nintendo executives and producers are typically very precise with their statements, which has us wondering... is Skyward Sword on track? Did something change during development? Are we looking at massive revisions to the game?

We're going to reach out to Nintendo to see if we can't get clarification. We'll let you know if we hear anything. No doubt we're all used to Zelda games getting delayed, but Skyward Sword certainly seemed to be progressing well.

source

I'm not liking how Nintendo is wording this either. I hope there is a delay in this game as I don't want it rushed.

I want it! It looks so good! And I hope it's not a disappointment like Twilight Princess.

Back