Apple's next iPhone reportedly ditches the 3.5 mmheadphone jack for Lightning port

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
Apple's quest for ever-thinner, ever-smarter devices may produce another casualty: your iPhone's headphone jack. A rumor at MacOtakara claims that the next iPhone might drop the 3.5mm port and use the Lightning port for audio instead. The move would let Apple slim its phone even further (reportedly, over 1mm thinner than the iPhone 6s) and take advantage of Lightning's features, such as headphone-based DACs and app launching. You'd have to use an adapter for any conventional wired headphones, or else make the leap to Bluetooth.

Read More

I hate how new smartphones seem to have fewer features these days. It is like that buyers are paying more money, but getting fewer features.

I wonder if Apple gives a pair of free headphones with a lightning port with their new iPhone which has no headphone ports, or an adapter to make it possible to use people's older headphones on a lightning port.

I think Apple should add 2 lightning ports on their iPhone, or include a hub, so people can charge their iPhone with 1 port while listening to music on the 2nd lightning port.

Last edited:
what exactly is the Lightning port?

what exactly is the Lightning port?

A Lighting Port is the port at the bottom of the iPhone. The Lightning is like the Micro-USB port on Google Android smartphones, and tablets, but it is flat and reverseable, and the Lightning port is also used for charging iPhones/iPads, and used for connecting an iPhone to USB chargers, microphones, headphones, and other Lightning accessories.

So it's just Apple's own USB port then? Well if modded, headphones can work for that. My current music speaker hooks up to my laptop via USB to play sound from my laptop.

Yes, Lightning Port is basicly like Apple's version of USB, but with a flat reverseable port on the side which you plug into the iPhone, and iPad. The other end of the cable which you plug into a Charger, or PC is still a regular USB plug.

That's just annoying for everyone though isn't it. It's a shame really that Apple does that just to make the phone smaller but I guess people will still buy it

Well no reason whatever needed the 3.5mm port could be modified into a USB.

True, there is no need for a 3.5 mm port if you could modify it into USB. There most likely be adapters to turn a 3.5mm headphone jack into a Lightning connector. But, it is kind of annoying how users need to buy new headphones, or a new adapter to use their old headphones which only has a 3.5mm jack.

Some older 3.5mm headphones cost a lot of money, and using an adapter to convert Lightning port audio back to 3.5mm audio may cause some audio lag which can be annoying when watching video and games.

True, there is no need for a 3.5 mm port if you could modify it into USB. There most likely be adapters to turn a 3.5mm headphone jack into a Lightning connector. But, it is kind of annoying how users need to buy new headphones, or a new adapter to use their old headphones which only has a 3.5mm jack.

Some older 3.5mm headphones cost a lot of money, and using an adapter to convert Lightning port audio back to 3.5mm audio may cause some audio lag which can be annoying when watching video and games.

it's how things worked, changed my MP3 player last year and all my old audio connectors no longer fit it's protective case. Had to change everything.

Back