Reliving the Arcade: Making your own home Arcade

Awards
Credits

Hey does anyone remember the old arcades from back in the day? For those younger gamers out there, they wouldn't understand the magic and coolness of it. Social gaming today means playing with people online. But in truth, it actually feels empty because even though you're talking with anyone from anywhere in the world while playing games, they're faceless. See, back in the day, social gaming meant literally socializing in real life, face to face.

But unfortunately, as tech evolved, some things died out. The arcades were one of those casualties. But if you could bring the arcade back in some semblance, what games would you use?

I know some I would use are:

GI Joe
Crazy Taxi
Street Fighter 3
Stider
Pac-man

What games would you use if you could build your own arcade?

Also, if anyone wants to take part in a twitch beta trivia game show about gaming, leave a comment here

Last edited:
I never had an arcade in my area, since I had Nintendo consoles at home. Which saved me a lot of quarters.

I actually have a couple arcade games in my house, but one of them is currently broken, and needs a power strip replacement! I have a Dinoscore redemption game (which is the broken one), and a commercial version of Ms. Pac-Man/Galaga Class of '81/20 Year Reunion!

I never had an arcade in my area, since I had Nintendo consoles at home. Which saved me a lot of quarters.

Oh we had our NES, SNES, Master System, and Genesis too. But back then, arcade tech was way ahead of home console tech so it definitely wasn't the same

I actually have a couple arcade games in my house, but one of them is currently broken, and needs a power strip replacement! I have a Dinoscore redemption game (which is the broken one), and a commercial version of Ms. Pac-Man/Galaga Class of '81/20 Year Reunion!

You know, if you're not gonna fix that Dinoscore, you can still sell it for a good amount of $$$ even broken

I would cheap out and get an arcade machine emulator to play fighting games like Sonic: The Fighters, and Darkstalkers, on top of Galaga, Tower of Druaga, Joust, Sinistar, and the like. However, how I would know about these games because they can be bought on certain consoles, some of which I already can play on my PSOne or Nintendo Switch.

I would cheap out and get an arcade machine emulator to play fighting games like Sonic: The Fighters, and Darkstalkers, on top of Galaga, Tower of Druaga, Joust, Sinistar, and the like. However, how I would know about these games because they can be bought on certain consoles, some of which I already can play on my PSOne or Nintendo Switch.

Tower of Druuaga was an arcade game?

I DO remember the home system game. Didn't think a game like that could even translate well as an arcade machine. Was it any good?

I was born in 1974 and I have had the experience of going to arcades as a small child all the way up to adulthood. And I will be the first to tell you that no co-op online experience could replace the good old days of the sights and sounds of an arcade.

One of my poker buddies has a lot of pinball machines, and arcade games in his basement. He invested a lot of cash into building one.

Tower of Druuaga was an arcade game?

I DO remember the home system game. Didn't think a game like that could even translate well as an arcade machine. Was it any good?
It's kinda like Pac-Man top down mixed with dungeon crawling and it was an arcade game. I like it because there's a lot of agency when trying to get to the next level.

I was born in 1974 and I have had the experience of going to arcades as a small child all the way up to adulthood. And I will be the first to tell you that no co-op online experience could replace the good old days of the sights and sounds of an arcade.

Yeah, the younger generations wouldn't really understand that.

The idea of social gaming was TOTALLY different back then compared to now.

Back